2.4.21 out

Time to learn to compile a kernel...lol for me anyways..:)

I remember when I first learnt to do that... it seems like yesterday. Because it was yesterday.

Actually it was 4 months ago. The good news is that you can't screw your system up. Fancy that - you recompile the kernel and you can't mess up, but add a comma in the right place in your XFree86 Config file... and... well... I just have too much time on my hands today, I think I'm going to do stuff with my furniture.

Damn public holidays.

Time to learn to compile a kernel...lol for me anyways..:)
It really isn't hard. Although there's tons of documentation, I found this an easy one to follow: The kernel part of the install process for gentoo. Head over to gentoo.org and read the x86 installation instructions - you'll learn a LOT ;)

Time to recompile again  :shock:  

Gotta love that fresh, pristine kernel source.

But doesn't mandrake patch their kernel like mad - wouldn't newbies be asking for trouble replacing their working kernels?

Mmmm, no... Gentoo patches their kernels a lot too. In fact, most distros do.

You can get patches, apply them to vanilla kernels (as Gentoo does as part of the emerge process), or you can just use a vanilla kernel... I've done that countless times on Mandrake systems. I usually just add in the preempt patch, as it gives me the best responsiveness.

That's what I'm running right now, but with 2.4.20 (2.4.21 reduced my IDE performance to something horrendous).

The only thing that would cause problems with using a non-Mandrake kernel is if you rely on some of the drivers that they add in, like certain webcam drivers, XFS or some other exotic filesystem support, etc.

Of course, you could probably find those patches too, and use them with a vanilla kernel if you want. Myself, I try to rely on nothing outside of the standard kernel source.

the only patch arch had on their kernel was the ptrace patch for 2.4.20. since we use gcc 3.3 our kernel maintainer may have had to patch a few sound drivers to get the latest kernel to compile (i know i had to buid out a few cyrstal sound drivers to get my test build to work)

Guest smoketoomuch
You can get patches, apply them to vanilla kernels (as Gentoo does as part of the emerge process), or you can just use a vanilla kernel... I've done that countless times on Mandrake systems. I usually just add in the preempt patch, as it gives me the best responsiveness.

Can you tell me where to find those patches, and how to apply them? I never done this before, but I'd like to :) - browsing Mandrake documentation and gentoo forums now :)

I've recompiled in Mandrake using straight kernel source once or twice. I had a problem with one or two modules, but other then that it was fine.

What I like to do is have three or four kernels and use each for a while before deciding on one.

For those who don't know: You add your kernels to Lilo or Grub and boot into anyone you want. So, you can keep your old kernel in case something goes wrong with the new one, or compile a few with different configs and boot into any of them. Super handy :wink: