problem in switching network interfaces [solved]

manmath sahu

Hi All,

I am facing severe problem in switching network interfaces. Let me explain it in details.

Specs:

Mandriva 2008 Powerpack on Compaq Presario C700 Notebook

Situation:

1. At home I access internet through cable on my notebook

2. At office I access wireless internet on that same notebook

Problem:

Whenever I have to access internet at home I have to set up a Lan network interface and when I go to office I have to again setup a wireless network interface. It's really painful for me change the network interface everyday.

Requirement:

I want to setup both interfaces: wireless and lan, so that I have to just enable the lan interface at home and wireless at office, instead of doing setup everytime.

Please help me out.

Use either wicd, or knetworkmanager. The former will work under any DE, while the second is for KDE.

Switching network interfaces on-the-fly using either of them is really easy.

I have used wicd on my lappy for a while (XFCE4 desktop), but currently I have switched to another, extremely simple and solid solution which is not available for Mandriva.

You'd better ask Iphitus about it, and if it could be ported to Mandriva! :D

Edited by scarecrow

Use either wicd, or knetworkmanager.

Thanks!

I am using Gnome DE, plz tell me where can I get wicd. I searched a while for mandriva rpm of wicd but could not find.

Edited by manmath sahu

For Gnome, install NetworkManager and let this do all the hard work for you. I use this. :)

I installed NetworkManager. But I don't see any menu, applet or icon of NetworkManager. How do I proceed???

Edited by manmath sahu

I installed NetworkManager. But I don't see any menu, applet or icon of NetworkManager. How do I proceed???

Well, finally the problem is fixed. Now I can change my network interfaces quite well from the little network icon...Now I see two interfaces: eth0 for my wirelss, and eth1 for my cable net. Actually I did not know that NetworkManager gets integrated with that network icon..

Thank you all.

Edited by manmath sahu