NVIDIA Geforce 256 video problem

Cannonfodder

This isn't exactly a linux problem. Since I bought my Dell 800 more than 3 years ago, I have had to replace my geforce 256 board twice. Now its happened again but I'm no longer under a service contract. Each time it's happened, I've been in windows 2000 and the screen saver has come on (usually the login screensaver). I'll show up later and move the mouse and then the video display is screwed up on re-appearing.

The symptoms are visiable from lilo into linux or windows.

The symtoms (best I can describe are):

Whereever I have a foreground color (e.g. text or a window bar), a horizonal bar of light gray will shadow the background of that row of text or whatever.

The best dell could do was replace the board. But I bet there is a way to reset the video board to its defaults or configure it somehow.. ? Hope someone has an idea ?

Cannonfodder:

I too have a Dell that is just now 3yrs old and had similar video problems. I had the same video card and a P991 monitor. According to Dell, there are know problems/bugs with both. Dell replaced my 256 card with a geforce gts/gts pro and also replaced my P991 with a P992. This has been over 9 months ago and I have no more video problems. I suggest dumping the 256 card and getting at least the gts/gts pro. The monitor was replaced first and I still had the horizon gray lines. They went away with the 'upgraded' gts/gts pro card, so I suspect it was really the video card, but since I was still under warranty, Dell replaced both.

I use the blank screen saver, too. I didn't think it was the monitor either, but since they offered to replace/upgrade it, I took it. I don't know whether Dell would admit the card had/has problems now or not. However, I'd sure give it a try. The worse that can happen is they won't do anything now, but my experience with Dell has been great, so who knows. And, I agree with you that they should replace it since they have in the past, and they know there is a problem with the 256 card. You may get lucky. (I hope so!)

cannon: if you're in the market for a video card, i have a GeForce 2 GTS...only problem with it is the fan needs some fixing, it runs, but it's noisy. it clicks...could never figure out why.

i'd sell it cheap, really cheap...if you want it :-)