Command line: write filenames to txt file

Hi,

I've got a directory with a lot of files.

How can I make a text file with the names of the content of that directory?

(It's easy but I forgot it)

Thanks

Jeroen

the > can be used to send output from any command to a file (or device sometimes)

my fav thing to do on the AIX server we used for programming up at school (we connected to it from win machines with X-Win32) was:

banner [some text] > pts/x

x being the pts that a friend of my was logged into at the time....we got in trouble for this when i taught others how to do it, and they started sending crap to the teachers terminal which was being projected onto a screen in the front of the class. i.e.: "PELUSO ROCKS!" (her name was Dr. Peluso, obviously)

thankfully, they never sent anything vulgar to her screen, nonetheless, they changed permissions on it so we could no longer use it :-(

just a little anecdote that this post reminded me off...:lol:

you would get a hell of a lot of noise coming out of your speakers, i would guess.

/dev/dsp is the digital sample and digital recording device (reference: http://www.guerrilla.net/reference/dsp/prog_dsp.htm)

you would be sending the mouse input out to the sound...so, most likely, moving your mouse (or maybe you wouldn't have to move it?) would create some sort of-most likely annoying-sound.

or would it get recorded? i'm not sure how > /dev/dsp would be translated by the dsp device....ok, aru, correct me :-) i confused myself...

I'm not gonna try it tonight :lol:

but If it has to do anything I'm sure it should do what you've said

If you wish you can do harmless and 'pleasant' tests to your /dev/dsp with:

/dev/dsp < somefile.wav