Mandriva Spring 2008 and Vista

mystified

My daughter just bought a computer with Vista but she wants linux so I'm going to install Mandriva. I just installed it on my computer and it's really nice. I was just wondering if their are any sorts of problems dual booting with vista that I need to worry about during installation.

Thanks

Hi.

I've installed Mandriva 2008.1 on 3 different laptops (Toshiba, Compaq and Dell) with vista.

All 3 are dual booting and they have no single issue, however, the import windows options in MCC seems not to import the wallpaper ... other than that ... everything is ok

Cheers

Luis

the import windows options in MCC seems not to import the wallpaper ...
Sorry to hijack this thread. I take it you are referring to transfugdrake? If so can you please let me know (a step-by-step would be nice) how you got it to work.

You also need to install package ....ntfs-3g.... as well as ....transfugdrake...

After you do that, go into MCC then Local Discs then Manage Disc partitions.

Click on the Windows Partition/s (I am assuming it is ntfs) and in Type change the ntfs to ntfs-3g and close out.

You should be good to go.

Cheers. John.

Tell her to send it back, and demand either no OS, or just XP (home or pro) with it.

Vista sucks bigtime, and every lil schoolboy knows that.

Naw, just the linux fanbois. :wettrout:

I use Vista Ultimate SP1 as well as Mandriva. I like them both. I prefer Vista SP1 to XP now. Just takes a little getting used to. True, Vista works best with software designed for it. So if you want to keep using all your legacy software then staying with XP is probably the best course.