2008.1 xen dom0 can't boot switchroot fails

Guest rct

Guest rct

I've installed Mandriva 2008.1 i586. Booting works ok without Xen using the 2.6.24 kernel. I'm now trying to set the machine up for Xen, I let drakvirt install the xen kernel. When I try to boot Xen, booting fails when it tries to mount the real root file system. /dev/root doesn't exist. Switchroot then fails. As far as I can tell the menu.lst and the boot entries look ok and the root does seem to be recognized as a device.

Grub Entry:

title xen-3.2.0 2.6.18.8-2

kernel (hd0,8)/boot/xen.gz

module (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen-3.2.0-2mdv root=UUID=a7ba2e19-d300-4e8c-bfe9-c802bc325ecf resume=/dev/sda7 splash=silent vga=788

module (hd0,8)/boot/initrd-2.6.18.8-xen-3.2.0-2mdv.img

I tried changing root= to /dev/sda9, and also leaving it out completely. In each case I get the same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

--Rob

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

If your working with XEN virtualization, I have NEVER been able to get that running with MDV (although rumor has it, it has been done)

However with SLES or even SUSE10, you shouldnt really have ANY issues at all!

I'm using VBOX on all of my MDV machines at home, but do have one SUSE setup just for XEN.

J

Guest rct
If your working with XEN virtualization, I have NEVER been able to get that running with MDV (although rumor has it, it has been done)

Clearly it doesn't seem to be easy to get Xen working with Mandriva. If there is a prescribed way to do it, then I've missed it.

With a bunch of trial and error I have been able to get it going with 2007.1 and 2008.0. I wrote down the steps, there were some udev issues. I don't remember if I posted them to the Mandriva wiki or not.

However the error with 2008.1 is new - /dev/root doesn't exist, it can't find the real root file system. I don't know how to debug that.

:wall:

--Rob