Can't ping / Can't ssh in local network

Guest Earthworm Jim

Guest Earthworm Jim

So I'm giving Mandriva a go, and I've run into a weird snag -

I've got two machines - the one I'm typing on now & another one right next to it which can't talk to each other.

I can ping anything outside of my local network (ie - www.yahoo.com) from either machine. I can come here & post this question from etiher one. But they don't see each other

pings & ssh's both hang (ssh is in connect, strace doesnt't want to attach to ping for some reason):

ssh:

Process 14993 attached - interrupt to quit

connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(22), sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.15.104")}, 16

I've got my security settings cranked down to "Poor" on both sides, verified "disabled = no" in xinetd.d/ssh.conf on both sides, verified that net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ingore* were all set to 0 in /etc/sysctl.conf, and obviously I'm here posting from one of the affected machines. When I had Fedora / windows systems on this same router they could see each other just fine. But now that I'm all Mandriva, nobody can see anybody on the local network

What gives?

Guest Earthworm Jim

And just for fun, this is me logged in from the other machine.

They can both see the whole of the internet, but they can't see each other...

First, check what ports the machines are listening on:

netstat -tunlp

and look for port 22 for SSH. If it is there, then it will be a firewall problem with shorewall/iptables being used on these machines. You can easily test this once the port 22 has been verified for listening and accepting connections, and just doing:

service shorewall stop
service iptables stop

and then try to connect to SSH and ping.

Guest Earthworm Jim
First, check what ports the machines are listening on:

netstat -tunlp

and look for port 22 for SSH. If it is there, then it will be a firewall problem with shorewall/iptables being used on these machines. You can easily test this once the port 22 has been verified for listening and accepting connections, and just doing:

service shorewall stop
service iptables stop

and then try to connect to SSH and ping.

nifty, thanks.