Locked folders ?

scoopy

When I browse though my files using konqueror (KDE 3.1.0) I normally will click on a folder in the left pane and it would list the files contained within on the right side. But there are a few now --- for unknown reasons --- that refuse to show its contents, except if I expand the tree on the left, I can get to the files inside as long as they are inside a child folder. The permissions are the same as ones I can access without problem (root rwxrwxrwx or rwxrwxr-x).

I am logged in as user 99.9 % of the time. I just checked --- as root --- and problem does not exist then.

Now --- logged in as user --- When I right click and select properties/permission, the permissions of the folders are --- User: root Group:root --- the same as other folders that do not give me any problems.

Also note: The one problem folder is on a fat32 drive and happens to be named "Linux". Two others are in /var/www/html/ which I moved from /home/scoopy via su and terminal. This is an ext 3 partition.

Another question: The name of / seems to have vanished somewhere now cause when I right click "Root Directory" to check things and then close this window... OK brings up a sorry window and sez the new file name is empy, so I must choose cancel. I tried putting / or root in there and it seems to want to copy all 40 some gigs from all my drives to root.

I have NO idea what that last problem is. But Don't worry about the locked folders, your user does not have read rights to the locked ones owned by root, whereas others owned by root do give read perms to users.

Thanks, but "user" can view all other folders owned by root --- except for these three. This is evidently a konqueror problem. I just tried with nautilus and everything is fine.

I also tried deleting temp files in /home/.kde and /root/.kde, (except for ksycoca and ksycocastamp cause I was afraid to delete these) but this did nothing, so I am open to other suggestions.

UPDATE: this may clear up the problem.

When I double-click on these problem folders I get this error window:

There appears to be a configuration error. You have associated Konqueror with inode/directory, but it can't handle this file type.

Have no idea how this may have happened, but all the other folders don't give me this message. How would I clear this up?

tia

Seems to be --- a bug without a fix, but I should be able to fix this file association manually... no? --- if I knew what belongs there.

KDE is up to date (kdebase-3.1-83.3)

Currently the command it executes is

kfmclient openURL %u inode/directory

Maybe someone has something else for this command ?

This one totally bites the big one. :cry:

Apparantly permissions, commands, whatever, are correct... cause they are the same and it works in another regular user acccount I forgot I had set up.

Another wierd thing was I had created a new folder with a different name (which works for the moment), moved the files to that new folder, and this does the same thing... so I move them files back out... and new folder works again as it should. Totally freaked up.

Gotta be between KDE and the user. Enough time wasted here... tommorrow I get serious and just reinstall myself. :evil:

You know if you delete your user you will also delete all those little things that you will have to set up again. No, not the wallpaper, that's nothing to worry about --- Its things like all that email you have sorted and special symlinks to make programs work the way you want, and etc., etc.

Why not try deleting those other temp files first and why not trash those konqueror and kfmclient files in the ./kde folder first? One of them has to contain the cause of this headache.

:twisted::twisted::twisted: