2008 one vs free [solved]

Szenhidrat

I downloaded the ONE edition to try what's new in the 2008.1 release. After the first boot an nvidia logo blinked and the desktop was.. WOW. The windows in kde were a bit different, double click made a window to maximise, 3d effs' etc. So i downloaded the FREE release too to change my 2008 to 2008.1. But the FREE version is almost the same as the old, except the login screen. How can i make the FREE release look like ONE? I mean to use 3d acceleration and so on.

I can see now this won't be an easy one :D .

I tried to install the nvidia driver, but it missed some kernel source. I used uname to determine my kernel version and then urpmi to install it but it just didn't work. I think i give up and stick with my old Mandriva. Thanks for the tip Jim though.

Edited by Szenhidrat

I can see now this won't be an easy one :D .

You're making this more difficult than it is. :)

You can use easy-urpmi to set up your software sources (repositories). Here's the link: easyurpmi

Then go to 'Configure your computer' > Hardware > 'Browse and configure hardware' > Videocard > 'Run config tool' > select to use the proprietary module. It will do all the work for you.