Modem Probs

Guest toxy

HI.

First posting here. I'm nervous... :oops:

Anyway, recently installed mandrake 9.1 download edition. Very impressed indeed on the whole.

Except I cant get my modem working at all.

Firstly I attempted to configure my SmartLink Winmodem by downloading the driver, but the makefile did not compile. Winmodems are poo I know, so I gave up.

Secondly, I borrowed a US Robotics external Sportser 56KB Faxmodem from me mate Steve. Ran detection thing and it detected a modem on COM2. However, no mention of the make or model just 'OLD DEVICE' i think it was (am back on XP to write this).

Problem is, when I try to connect, it does absolutely nothing. No lights, no dial, dickity poo.

Have done a V quick search here but couldnt see anything.

Appoligies if I have broken any protocol here or anything, but I am new both to this forum and linux, so please let me off this time. Also if I have not provided reqired info, let me know and I wil do so.

And to end on a sour note. Although the OS is obviously lovely, Win XP detected and configured my borrowed modem instantly. I am sending this message through it now. I think that mandrake have some work to do yet......

Cheers,

Tox

Welcome ! This place is very user friendly.

First, If you want to get the SmartLink Winmodem working, you need to install the kernel-source package first. This will allow the makefile to compile... assuming make is installed too.

Secondly, Your better off if you can keep the external modem (or get one of your own). I am not too sure about this one, but this should almost configure itself through the Mandrake Control Center (mcc) using the wizard.

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I installed the kernel source for the WinModem. Went from loads of errors on Make to just one. Gave up though in the knowledge that winmodems are poo.

Yep, have tried to configure the sportster using mcc. No joy. Get to put phone number, username pass etc, but then when I click connect I get the little window to say that it trying to connect, but nothing happens at all. No flashing modem lights, no dial tone, no tone dialing.

Its as if the modem is not being properly recognised or somthing. It works fine, cos windows loves it....

Any further advice anyone can give would be very gratefully received.

Cheers,

Tox

If in Windows it's com2, in linux it's /dev/ttyS1. My modem in windows is com1, so in linux it's /dev/ttyS0. Try to point the modem to /dev/ttyS1. As root, you can se where the /dev/modem symlink points to with;

file /dev/modem

[root@localhost bvc]# file /dev/modem

/dev/modem: symbolic link to /dev/ttyS0

[root@localhost bvc]#

Yours should say /dev/ttyS1. If it does you can point the dialup apps to the /dev/modem symlink.

Guest JaseP

Additionally, if you are using kppp to connect, then you get to set the com port in that app. It's easier than making sure the system automatically created the symbolic link to the com port for that modem

Cheers for the help chaps, but it still aint working. There was no simlink present at all, so I created on using ln -s.

No effect at all.

However, you mention kppp, I dont seem to have it. HAve done a find, and nothing. I'm trying to make my connection using the wizard on the mcc.

Where can I get kpp from? Will it or others like it be on one of my two download edition cds?

If so how do I install it?

Sorry bout this guys, feeling really stoopid now. I'm pig ignorant about Linux, but love the bits that work and am very keen to learn about it.

Anyone any more ideas???

cheers,

Tox

Okay!

I'm speaking to the board from Linux for the first time. You should all feel very proud. :)

However, I'm still confused.

Firstly, installing that package using urpmi did NOT work. Unknown package.

I got into a temper an re installed 9.1 from the start, formatting my root partition. It detected my borrowed modem during install, so there were no problemos.

However, I still cant see xppp or any other dial up software from my menu system. To connect I have to go too MCC and got to Networking and then Connect.

Then it times out before I've actually connected, but carries on to connect anyway.

I've connected so I'm happy. But id like a shortcut way to connect and disconnect without going to MCC.

Any more thoughts?

Many thanks for your continued help,

Tox

Hmmm..I did;

urpmf kppp

and it gave me;

kdenetwork-kppp

You can use the Software Manager in mcc and serach for kdenetwork. You could also try;

urpmi kdenetwork

but it may say 'everything installed'

Then it times out before I've actually connected, but carries on to connect anyway.
Same thing has always happened to me :roll: and I have the USR external....what do they want?...a supersonic modem that has never been made? :lol: Ignore it.

AM now beconing very dis-spirited.

Everything has stopped working again. Wont even connect from MCC. Still cant find kppp or any other dial up software anywhere.

The 'everything already installed' message is prevelant, but kppp is nowhere.

Questions....

1. Can I specifically download kppp anywhere and install it. If so from where and how.

1.1 Where can I download the latest kdenetwork package, and how do I install it?

2. Are there any other dialers I can install. If so where and how do I do it.

Starting to regret my entire linux experiment. Cant really see the point if I cant connect to the internet.

Please.....if anyone can help.......

Cheers,

Tox.

did you try opening up a terminal and typing in "kppp"?

what are your security settings set at?

what you really need to do is get your system online _somehow_ and get all of the updates for 9.1-there are a ton, and they fix a lot of issues.

Yep, tried that. Nothing doin.

Would love to get updates. Will continue to try.

CAn anyone recomend other dial up software I can try, where I can get it from and how to install it.

Cheers,

Tox