Can I use the install CD to add packages?

Guest Char

to my existing, already installed system?

(Installed system and install cd are both 9.1).

I didn't install X with KDE at first, but want to use it now. I only seem to have urpmi available, and dont know if I can use it to install X&KDE.

Sorry if I sound a bit n00bish- thats because I am.. :|

yeah, you can use urpmi, tho i'm not exactly 100% sure what the best way of doing it would be...

try: urpmi kde

see if that does anything for you....

or possibly: urpmi xfree86

then: urpmi kde

just ideas, i haven't used urpmi in 2 months+, so my memory of how it works is fading...

I don't entirely understand your question. If you want to install the packages stored on the CD, then yes thats fine. If you want to use the INSTALLER that is on the CD, then probably not.

I'm guessing from your post that your machine has no X so just boots to the command prompt. My advice would be to log in as root and then :

urpmi xfree86

drakconf (or drakfx)

urpmi kde

This should not only install KDE & X but also all the things that are required for them to work. Drakcong should allow you to setup your graphics card.

Of course it might be easier to just to install again from scratch using the install CD if your setup is still fair new.

so my memory of how it works is fading...

Old age tymehacker :lol: But yes, those sugestions should work

ha! obviously I DID remember, so no old age here ;-) but thanks for confirming my suggestions.

and mtweidmann has a good suggestion, after urpmi xfree86 running drakconf would be a good idea. i'd give it a go, and if it doesn't work out, then just go the re-install route (if the install is fairly new, as mtweidmann said)

If i understand this:

Char has installed from a set of MDK 9.1 CD's and would now like to upgrade his 9.1 system.

Is this not the intended purpose of the upgrade feature on the install CD ? As opposed to upgrading a 9.0 system to 9.1, which has given much grief to many users.

Although X and KDE are probally the two most problematic and might be better installing another way.

With urpmi, if you attempt to install kde where there has been no x, urpmi will install everything, including x and the mandrake tools. You will, however, have to configure x by running the config program. So, you lose the nice prompts during an install. The upgrade option would work, and it would do all the hard stuff for you. It is the only acceptable use for the "upgrade" option.

Thanks all for your quick and helpful replies!

Yes, scoopy is right, I want to ''upgrade'' the 9.1 to 9.1, and add packages in the process. So like mtweidmann said, the question was if I could use the installer from the install-CD.

When performing an upgrade however, the "install packages" dialog does not appear. All installed packages are updated automatically, but you cannot add.

As I understand, you cant use the install CD, but have to use urpmi. I was a bit uncertain if this would resolve all dependencies, but as I understand, it will.

Thanks, I will try as suggested above - got a ghost image anyway.

BTW, does mandrake have XF86config? I remember that from my first linux distro (Slackware 2.2) - after that there was a looong time of nothing linux like however.

Try urpmi kde*. If that doesn't work, cd into /mnt/cdrom/where_rpms_are, and then do urpmi kde* - that works for sure (i have used that method to manually d/l texstar rpm's and install them - it works really well :-)

--Andrew