Mandriva 2008 One in 2 GB?

pilotaviola

Hi, and welcome here.

I have an eeepc (asus) and mandriva 2008.1 (spring) the latest version insalled. I have most of the ususal software installed (firefox, openoffice, kaffeine, pidgin, gimp, digiKam etc...) and that runs on kde. The whole thing takes 2.1Gb so you are nearly there!

Why do you chose 2008 and not 2008.1?

Can you describe your hardware, there is a way to install /home for example on another drive (like a stick). Besides, are you including a swa pin your install?

You could also have a look at eeepclinuxos for a very small mandriva-based distro. MCNLive is very good too, a bit old now though and not supported anymore I think.

In order to choose the packges you install an ftp install exists and gives you total control. Oce I did an install using xfce as a window manager, thunar as a file manager, mousepad as a text editor and terminal instead of konsole, that took about 1.2 Gb.

Last and not least, have you considered puppy Linux?

Stef

You cannot use the ONE version of Mandriva to do this. As you are aware almost 4G is required for a ONE install and it cannot be modified to select only certain software. It's all or nothing.

In my opinion your best option is to use the mini-dual CD (the 2008.1 mini-dual is a lot better than the 2008.0 version). This will install a minimal system, using IceWM. You could then add software as space allows.

Jim

I think you could PROBABLY fit a VERY stripped down version in 2gb or less, but as other folks have mentioned it would be VERY stripped.

As for MCNLive (Which I love) as long as your ok with the 2007.1 kernal and no upcoming updates, it is an AWESOME tool.

I use it in a LOT of specialized areas, but unfortunatelt the original writer retired and no one has yet made any more advances on it.

BUT a good alternative could be pclinuxOS

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

it is a Mnadriva derivitave, it runs VERY well and very fast.

my only 2 complaints are:

1) the repositories (offical ones) seem a little limited

2) Again, I think your still relying on the 2007.1 codebase, but I could be wrong there.

most of my attempts to confirm or deny that have been have been ignored, but I still keepgoing back to Mandrivs power pak

I have an eeepc (asus) and mandriva 2008.1 (spring) the latest version insalled. I have most of the ususal software installed (firefox, openoffice, kaffeine, pidgin, gimp, digiKam etc...) and that runs on kde. The whole thing takes 2.1Gb so you are nearly there!

Why do you chose 2008 and not 2008.1?

Dear Stef, thank you for your reply.

Your installation is encouraging, but I would like to use ~ 1.5 MB for the operating system, ~200 MB as swap partition, ~300 free for potential additional software.

And yes, I meant 2008.1

Can you describe your hardware, there is a way to install /home for example on another drive (like a stick). Besides, are you including a swa pin your install?

In order to choose the packges you install an ftp install exists and gives you total control. Oce I did an install using xfce as a window manager, thunar as a file manager, mousepad as a text editor and terminal instead of konsole, that took about 1.2 Gb.

Thinkpad T40 centrino 1.5, 1gb RAM, Solid State Drive 2GB (I've broken too many hard drives)

You could also have a look at eeepclinuxos for a very small mandriva-based distro. MCNLive is very good too, a bit old now though and not supported anymore I think.

Last and not least, have you considered puppy Linux?

I would consider linuxos/puppylinux, but I like Mandriva.

I used MCNlive on a USB stick up to know, so I would rather install MCNlive if Mandriva is not feasible.

Looking at the other posts seems it's possible..... :)

In my opinion your best option is to use the mini-dual CD (the 2008.1 mini-dual is a lot better than the 2008.0 version). This will install a minimal system, using IceWM. You could then add software as space allows.

Jim

Thanks for this suggestion, I am downloading the mini-dual CD now

Thanks for this suggestion, I am downloading the mini-dual CD now

Hi,

Yes, thinking about it, last time I installed my distro on the eeepc (to do a clean install from 2008 -> 2008.1) I used the mini disk. I then proceeded to install a kde system with not too much software to start with.

I then changed the kernel to the laptop-latest kernel and removed the desktop kernel.

Then I copied & linked

/home

/user/bin/

/user/sbin/

on my 4GB sdcard (which stays in the PC always). My swap (512MB like yours) is on the SDcard to minimize the risk of affecting my SSD (4GB).

I then installed all the software I needed, including full-office suite, kaffeine, all the photo gear. It all takes a bit less than 2GB, which leaves less than 1.5GB on the actual SSD.

You have 2 PCMCIA on it so you could have an SDHC card of 4 or 8 GB on it for not much money and do your install on them...

You have a good system, a lot of possibilities there , good idea to put a ssd on it,

Stef

The only distro I have ever installed on my USB-stick and small HD's, aimed at low spec puters, is Puppy Linux.

It isn't perfect for sure (most apps are GTK1, so they do look ugly, although most of them aren't bad at all), it has several bugs, but it's very, very light on resources, very easy to manage, even for newbies (plenty of customized graphical admin tools), and expandable, if you wish so, via regular Slackware packages (if you use the latest 3.0.X version, that is).

You have 2 PCMCIA on it so you could have an SDHC card of 4 or 8 GB on it for not much money and do your install on them...

Dear Stef, I have a 4 GB CF in the PCMCIA adapter, but unfortunately in the BIOS there is no option to boot form PCMCIA.

Do you think I can install the root system in the 2 GB SSD and some program on the PCMCIA? How to do it?

:mellow:

Dear Stef, I have a 4 GB CF in the PCMCIA adapter, but unfortunately in the BIOS there is no option to boot form PCMCIA.

Do you think I can install the root system in the 2 GB SSD and some program on the PCMCIA? How to do it?

:mellow:

Hi,

here is what I would do. I have done that on my eeepc and use to do something similar on my zaurus.

1- Start your install with your CF plugged in.

2- When you reach the installation step where the system asks you about partitions, choose custom disk partitioning.

3-a Format your ssd as reiserfs and mount point as /

3-b Format your CF as 3.5 GB reiserfs (or ext2) and the rest as your swap. Choose /home as your mount point for the first partition.

4-finish your minimal install as usual.

After final reboot

5- AS ROOT :

This should put all your /usr/bin on your CF and link them to the rest of the system :

(if I remember well...)

cd /usr/bin
mkdir /home/usr/bin
cp -r /usr/bin/* /home/usr/bin
ln -s /home/usr/bin bin

I remember doing the same with /usr/sbin and /usr/lib as well as with /opt.

All that should save a lot of space. Don't worry too much about the swap, if you keep an eye on your (using gkrellm for example) you will notice that your PC actually uses it rarely

If I were you I would try eeepclinuxos (http://www.eeepclinuxos.com/) this uses a Mandriva based system which is squashed, it should work on your system. You can try it live to start with and then install whatever you want. It starts very quickly and is very pleasant to use.

Stef

I have installed Mandriva 2008.1 (with the simple graphic interphace) using the mini CD, and until now I am occuping about 1.4 GB, so at the moment I still don't need to install the packages elsewhere.

However, I cannot figure out how to see the videos. I loaded vlc realplayer and mediaplayer, but when I open the avi files (both in the bbc website and in my computer) I can heard the sound but I see a blue screen. I need some codec? I though I did not for Vlc.

Can somebody imagine the reason?

I used MCNlive on a USB stick up to know, so I would rather install MCNlive if Mandriva is not feasible.

Looking at the other posts seems it's possible..... :)

MCNL will ABSOLUTELY load in 2GB

I run an .ORG that refurbs old pc's and reloads them w/ linux and then teaches folks how to use them www.foundation4faith.org

and MCNL has been our saviour more times than i can count. People are VERY reluctant to give away 500GB hd's but i have a stack almost as tall as I am, of 2GB HD's

and MCNL works and runs amazingly well!