I found an old tv tuner card

ramfree17

it was given to my brother a year or so ago. all i know is that it has an ATI logo in the board. there are no drivers nor any indication to its model. whenever i run xawtv i get this one

$ xawtv

This is xawtv-3.85, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.21-0.13mdk)

can't open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory

v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway

v4l2: open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory

v4l2: open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory

v4l: open /dev/v4l/video0: No such file or directory

no video grabber device available

but harddrake2 (partly) recognizes the card as a tv tuner with the info

Vendor: x{200E}(null)

Bus: x{200E}PCI

Bus identification: x{200E}109e:366:1002:3

Location on the bus: x{200E}0:a:0

Description: x{200E}

Module: x{200E}unknown

Media class: x{200E}MULTIMEDIA_VIDEO

i cant even get windows drivers for this thing. anybody out there (even those armed with a crystal ball) who has the slightest idea on how i can use this thing?

another thing, when i first tried to configure the card in harddrake2 i was presented with a driver selection. i selected generic drivers. does anybody know how i can make that dialog appear again? i want to choose the ATI option this time.

tia!

ciao!

another thing, when i first tried to configure the card in harddrake2 i was presented with a driver selection. i selected generic drivers. does anybody know how i can make that dialog appear again? i want to choose the ATI option this time.

pull it out, boot up the system without it, shutdown, put it back in (in a different slot preferably)-this may bring the dialog back up.

that is, if you can't get to in by choosing the device in harddrake and choosing "run config tool" (should be below where the previous info was provided) or something similar to that...

you sure there aren't any markings anywhere on the card? even random numbers...there should atleast be a S/N somewhere on it, you would think...

pull it out, boot up the system without it, shutdown, put it back in (in a different slot preferably)-this may bring the dialog back up.

that is, if you can't get to in by choosing the device in harddrake and choosing "run config tool" (should be below where the previous info was provided) or something similar to that...

you sure there aren't any markings anywhere on the card?  even random numbers...there should atleast be a S/N somewhere on it, you would think...

i would prefer if i dont have to punch any more back covers in my cpu. my chassis is a cheap piece that once the cover is punched i cant put it back. im planning a reinstall anyway this coming week so i can reorganize my partitions.

i see the config button what it doesnt work like the first time (meaning i dont get the dialog). i think there are some numbers in there. ill pull it out tomorrow as its already past midnight here. time to get some sleep...

goodnightie....

ciao!

the tuner card has a protruding connector (where you put the cable wire). if im going to switch it to another place i will have to blow off another cover so i can plug it in place.

anyway i have no /dev/video* as i only have these

$ ls /dev/v*  

/dev/vcs@   /dev/vcs3@  /dev/vcs6@  /dev/vcsa1@  /dev/vcsa4@  /dev/vcsa7@

/dev/vcs1@  /dev/vcs4@  /dev/vcs7@  /dev/vcsa2@  /dev/vcsa5@

/dev/vcs2@  /dev/vcs5@  /dev/vcsa@  /dev/vcsa3@  /dev/vcsa6@

/dev/vc:

0   12  16  2   23  27  30  34  38  41  45  49  52  56  6   63

1   13  17  20  24  28  31  35  39  42  46  5   53  57  60  7

10  14  18  21  25  29  32  36  4   43  47  50  54  58  61  8

11  15  19  22  26  3   33  37  40  44  48  51  55  59  62  9

/dev/vcc:

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  a  a1  a2  a3  a4  a5  a6  a7

and here are the numbers i found on the card. i might have read some characters off as they are tiny and some are going to fade soon.

3139 147 13251B#

F11236 MK2/PH hm

SV23  0039

and on the other side

E137137

i dont know what happened but win2k has suddenly recognized the card. i can hear the sound of the local channels but i still cant get any picture out of it. i know linux can do better but i wish i know how to start configuring it. *sigh*

ciao!

found this:

http://www.tv-cards.com/messageboard/viewt...opic.php?p=4058

so far that's the best lead on what kind of card it is...

hunting for more...

update

after more hunting it appears that the numbers you found are simply for various components on the card, not that card itself. the link i posted is the closest to having all of the markings you posted.

does windows 2k show any name for the card?

update #2

here's a PDF for part of the chipset: http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~eddie/mga4linux/fi1236.pdf

what we need to find out is what ATI cards use that chipset :-/

Guest fubar::chi

that looks like my card. it's an ati tv wonder ve (works in mandrake for me). I did need to change the pci slot once (didn't like being in the last slot). Windows drivers are available on the ati website. Oh yeah I'm in the US and didn't quite get xawtv working. I had to use zapping, but i used my 9.0 configuration because when I tried with the 9.1 version it wouldn't work properly.

fubar: can you verify the markings he posted earlier in the thread as being the same as (or similar to) what's on your card?

that would really verify that his card is a wonder ve...

well, it looks like the most important marking (the chipset) is the same:

fl1236 mk2/ph hm

all the others a pretty much the same, differences could be attributed to readability, card-specific markings (as in, each card having a different number, etc), and/or revisions to the card..

ramfree: i would assume it's a tv wonder ve...now, we just need to get it to load the drivers :twisted:

Guest fubar::chi

this usually works for me

modprobe bttv

modprobe btaudio

modprobe tuner

or something along those lines. You'll know it's working when you here static from the line-in sound (you have to turn the line-involume up to hear it btw). that is, of course, assuming you have the audio plugged in to the line-in thingy in your sound card.