HP DV6810US Laptop Hardware

NavyLT

Just got an HP DV6810US laptop. It has AMD TL-60 CPU, NVIDIA 7150M video, NVIDIA chipset, and Atheros AR5006EG (according to Linux) wireless network adapter. Windows Vista shows the wireless as AR5007.

The WIFI only works with the Madwifi-Kernel-2.6.24.4...mdv2008.1.i586.rpm for the current kernel. I can compile and install both the DKMS-Madwifi RPM and the Madwifi 9.4.0 drivers from source, but after modprobe ath_pci, I do not get ATH0 to show up. I have also tried the Madwifi snapshot sources that are supposed to support the AR5007 with no luck either.

I want to compile a 2.6.25 kernel specifically tailored for AMD, but does anyone know how I will be able to get the Madwifi drivers to work? What is the secret in the Madwifi-Kernel RPM that makes it work but none others work? Does using the NDISWRAPPER and XP drivers make the adapter fully functional as if the Madwifi drivers were used?

With the NVIDIA video, I tried to run the binary install program for 169.12 downloaded from NVIDIA website. It seemed to compile and install OK, but I could not get an X configuration to work with it. So I installed the NVIDIA-kernel-current....169.12....i586.rpm and that worked, so am I going to have the same problem with a 2.6.25 kernel?

Thanks!