Directory permissions for group

I have a question about directory permissions. I thought I understood this.

I have a user and group both called photo. It has a directory called /home/photo/Pictures, on which the photo group has rwx permission. I added my own login to the photo group, and then logged in as me I attempted to ls that directory, but it says permission denied. What do I have to do to see something owned by a group I'm in?

You understand correctly, javaguy. Just one thing is missing, I think: You have the right to see the contents of this directory, but do you have the right to access it?

To access directory /home/photo/Pictures, you must have the execute permission on directories /home (which I guess you have) and /home/photo (which I guess you don't).

However, granting this execute right won't last long, I think, because msec is probably configured to reset that. So you'll have to decide wether you want to:

- change msec configuration, or

- move Pictures somewhere else and maybe change /home/photo/Pictures into a symbolic link to the new location.

Yves.