Removing KDE from Mdk 9.1 installation?

Guest stodge

Guest stodge

Here's a crazy thought. Has anyone installed Gnome and KDE support when installing Mdk 9.1 and then tried to remove ALL KDE support (libraries, applications, conf etc)? I really can't face re-installing my box, but I want to use a Gnome only environment to reclaim disk space.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

You can easily uninstall KDe by doing :

# urpme kdelibs qt arts

That should remove everything KDE based from your machine... Please remember that you will loose all the kde apps including koffice and all the ammusements that came with kde.

Please read the list of the apps that is going to be uninstalled before you press the 'Y'

Hope it helps

Phazeman

Guest stodge

I did it and it worked, but now I don't have a login screen. I'm kicked back to runlevel 3. Ah well, I needed to re-install anyway; I was just lazy! :P

If it is not too late... or for future referance:

You can install xtart, which I believe is included on the CD's, and then at the prompt enter:

Xtart

this gives you the option of starting any other desktops you have installed like gnome.

If you have gdm installed, you can switch to that login manager. You do not need to reinstall at all. In fact, I'll bet that if you install gdm, mandrake will configure to that login without you having to edit the pertinent file

Either use the Software Manager in mcc (Mandrake Control Center) to install Xtart and gdm (if not already) or for the faster way from a terminal as root;

urpmi gdm Xtart

Note: 'X' tart- case sensitive

Then go to mcc>Hardware and choose gdm as your dm (display manager).

Guest stodge

Conversely, which core RPMs would I uninstall to completely remove Gnome from a Mandrake install?

Also, what widget toolkit are the Drak applications written using?

Thanks again

Conversely, which core RPMs would I uninstall to completely remove Gnome from a Mandrake install?

Also, what widget toolkit are the Drak applications written using?

Thanks again

I was under the impression that the drake tools have been ported to perl-GTK2 for 9.1

It's some sort of the gtk family.

gnome-libs should remove most of gnome. If you really want to know 'exactly', do;

rpm -qa | grep gnome

rpm -qa | grep gnome2

rpm -qa | grep gtk2

or variation of the pkgs you get in the results. Same with kde

rpm -qa | grep kde

I'm on a win box rt now so I can't check.

Guest stodge

I ran the Mandrake software removal app, and just kept searching for gnome. That seemed to do the trick. Everything seems hunky dory since then.

Cheers