Need assistance installing 2008.0

Guest afmac

Guest afmac

Hi all-

I've been surfing around for what seems like forever, and can't seem to find a set of info that really matches what my situation is. I realize these questions probably get asked like a zillion times, so I apologize...but really appreciate the help.

I have a brand new HP Pavilion dv6815nr laptop with Windows Vista Ultimate installed. I've got a CD with the 2008.0 distribution of Mandriva on it, and am looking to install this on the laptop so I can dual boot both Linux and Vista. What I'm not sure of is the exact "how". I've gotten as far as running the install...but then chickened out as soon as I got to the choice of what/whether to partition. I know I don't want to erase the disk and just have Linux, I've heard goods and bads on "using the free space" from the Windows partition and I really don't know enough about doing the custom partition set up.

Is there someone out there who can provide a simple step-by-step to help walk me through this?

Very much appreciate the help!

Mac

Hello and welcome aboard. :)

Basically, the auto-setup that Mandriva provides works excellent. If you want to set it up yourself (in order to have total control over the partitioning process), do the following:

1. Defrag Windows (in order to make sure that you won't erase some important files) and make a backup of your data.

2. Once you have booted the install-CD/DVD, select the custom-partitioning mode

3. Resize the Windows partition so that you have e.g. 20 GB of free space (it is just an example. the size can be bigger or smaller. Your choice)

4. On the free space, create three partitions: One for the base-system and the applications that it will install (e.g. 5 GB size, ext3 mode), one /swap partition (twice your RAM = rule of thumb if you have less than 1 GB RAM. If you have more than 1GB, 1GB swap is more than enough) and finally one /home partition for your personal files (formatted again in ext3 mode, size: As big as you want)

5. Accept the setting and continue the installation process.

And: Check this link: http://howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_mandriva_2008.0

It explains in detail how to setup Mandriva. (With pictures! :) )

Good luck.