Linux Users Groups Coordination

Guest Adriano

Guest Adriano

I'm trying to design and setup a system for coordinating LUG document creation and management in Argentina. The reasons:

-Information duplication. Reinventing the wheel == very common. I hate that.

-Disconnection between LUGs. Many people do not communicate (I believe) as much as they could.

-Need to share and update resources efficiently. I also hate to see lots of old crusty docs, people that have docs available for their problem but fon't know it...

The software should be a database replication-synchronization, management and visualization system (you write a doc, get it on a database, it gets shared to every LUG that wants to mirror it). The project would be implemented in PHP. Each LUG can take and share what it likes, obviously. To share, it should set up a section of their website.

It seems something similar to CVS fits the bill. Wiki also comes to mind. Of course, we want to avoid people destroying documents (as can be done on vanilla Wiki).

This way, every small LUG can share the wealth, big LUGs don't lose and can get valuable input also, people get to know each other, we gain a sense of how big we are and the information is easier to access.

I wanted to know if anything like this has been implemented, or if you people have any recommendation/tip/question. For now, this is just an idea, an itch I have. I hope I can scratch it.

Thanks in advance.

This might be of interest for your project. Its a php web-based site to develop documentation:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpdocu/

I just began to try and get this set up on my server, but ran into a problem with the code:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=5687

good luck and let me know if you try this and get it to work.

Guest Adriano

As this is only an idea at the moment, I'm totally open to suggestions. I can't code much yet, I'm mainly the man with the idea, and with some quantity of taste and common sense... I believe. A friend of mine who shares the idea and the will to work is really skilled in PHP, so that's why I mentioned it, but if there's a better solution we're open to it. As I'll have to learn a lot about a lot of things, and as I'll probably find some help from developers here, I'm totally open to these suggestions.