3D Original Quake

static

It is certainly possible to run the first Quake natively in Linux. I think that twilight is a port of the game engine and not the only option - others mat be able to confirm or deny this :wink:

Edit: Doom1 works in Linux and Doom3 will do - (not sure about Doom 2). no idea if Doom1 let's you look around with the mouse.

BTW - if you are into classic 3D games - then the original wolfenstein 3D will run natively in linux as well

I know all the dooms work, I'm just not sure if it's legacy doom or whatever out of all the new projects since the code was released. There's even one with 3D, like fog and stuff! However they didn't change from sprites to 3d-objects for the monsters 'cause it'd take a while.

I was just curious which of all the dooms and quakes work and have 3D. GLQuake style 3D quake for linux (I have a radeon) is what I really want.

Yeah, there is a tutorial on my site (which is outdated, but at least you'd know what it's called and you could search on the Net for it).

Twilight or Dark Places is what you're looking for...

I like Twilight. Dark Places has the Doom 3 features added, but it's a lot of extra work (it seems) to get it working.

dp_demo1_scrag_with4x4gaussianfsaa.png

http://icculus.org/twilight/

Actually it's thanks to your site that I know about twilight! I just didn't know if it was 3D or not. looks awesome!

Dark Places has the Doom 3 features added
:?: You mean quake 3 ? Is Dark Places for doom or quake?

Actually it's thanks to your site that I know about twilight! I just didn't know if it was 3D or not. looks awesome!

Dark Places has the Doom 3 features added
:?: You mean quake 3 ? Is Dark Places for doom or quake?

It's based on Twilight, I think, and uses the rendering stuff that Doom 3 uses... Bump mapping and such, I think. I don't know for certain, but you could ask the Twilight guys.

Yeah, it's for Quake 1. :)

Cool. I'm going to give your tutorial a shot. is twilight-20021124-3.i586.rpm the newest twilight?

No. I wouldn't bother with that. I'd just go to icculus.org and get the latest CVS. Shouldn't be hard to do for someone like you who knows what they are doing. :)