Cable modem woes in 9.1

Guest Telex4

Guest Telex4

Hello,

I'm trying to get a cable modem to work with a friend's computer. Her parents' computer running Windows has no problem, so the connection & modem are fine, but I can't get it working with Mandrake. I'm partly frustrated by Mandrake's own control center holding lots of config options and generally not working (it does this annoying thing where you can't just delete and start from scratch; it always seems to leave old bits in the configs and since I first set-up eth0 for a normal lan connection it won't change!).

I've made some progress in the MDK Control center, and now I'm trying to do it manually instead. I get this far, but it's just not being nice. The IP & MAC addresses for eth0 are the same as when Windows is connected, so dhcp must be resolving something!

Help!

[root@localhost root]# dhclient

Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client V3.0pl2

Copyright 1995-2001 Internet Software Consortium.

All rights reserved.

For info, please visit [url]http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP[/url]

Listening on LPF/lo/

Sending on   LPF/lo/

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:d0:59:e9:9e:1d

Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:d0:59:e9:9e:1d

Sending on   Socket/fallback

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7

DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11

DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21

DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13

DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 16

DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6

No DHCPOFFERS received.

No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

[root@localhost root]# ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:D0:59:E9:9E:1D

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:34 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

RX bytes:180 (180.0 b)  TX bytes:9936 (9.7 Kb)

Interrupt:9 Base address:0xf400

eth0:9    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:D0:59:E9:9E:1D

inet addr:80.2.250.146  Bcast:80.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

Interrupt:9 Base address:0xf400

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1

RX packets:23 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:23 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:6528 (6.3 Kb)  TX bytes:6528 (6.3 Kb)

Guest noescape

Hi, I've had some trouble with connecting to my cable ISP as well. As an experiment, I shutdown my firewall. After that I was able to connect. Subsequently, for some reason (even after disabling the firewall service in linuxconf) the firewall kept starting on boot. I ended up uninstalling "shorewall". I must not've had it configured properly I guess. Now I have to either learn more about shorewall and how to configure it, or find a different firewall to install so I am not vulnerable.

I hope this is of some help. At least I got my connection going. Now I gotta get connection sharing working. Always something to work on and to make me think.

:-)

Guest Telex4

Next time I have access to the machine, I'll have a look for firewall stuff.

How would I get the updates if the machine has no connectivity? Unless there is a directory of all of the updates that I can just download on my machine and burn to a CD to use?

• 1 month later...
Guest Telex4

OK, I have since got back on her machine. There was no firewall running. I tried applying some updates that I had downloaded on my PC & burnt to a CD, but no luck. I then tried botting up a Knoppix CD to see if it could autodetect stuff (it has a little networking wizard...) DHCP broadcast didn't work, so it seems like it's not just Mandrake? I'm totally mystified! Next time I'm round there I'm going to take a Gentoo CD and try setting it up manually with ifconfig.

The only other thought I've had is that maybe the winmodem in the machine is conflicting with the network card (we've never actually had the opportunity to test the nic).

there is a CD in our downloads which contains all of the updates up to a few days ago. however, the directions in the README on the CD aren't the best. if you decide to download this CD, PM me and I will give you better directions.

Guest noescape

Have you tried the command"dhcpcd eth0" (or whatever device your network card is). The dhcpcd command has to be run as root and might not be installed by default. I quite often use that command to bring up my internet connection. You seem like you can use any help you can get, so I'll just think about it and fire out suggestions that make sense to me as they come up.

I don't know how advanced you are at using the command line for running things, so I'll take you through running it.

type "su" *press enter* then it'll ask you for the root password, type it in and *press enter*, then type "dhcpcd eth0" and *press enter*. it should let you know if it's not installed right away. Then you can install it if you need to and try again.

Guest Telex4

Thanks... that's what I forgot to try (installing dhcpd instead of dhclient). Next time I'm around, I'll give it a go. As you can see from my first post, I gave dhclient and ifconfig a good go, with no luck, and I've been using GNU/Linux for a few years so the CLI is no prob for me ;)

Guest noescape

I'm glad to hear that you aren't afraid to use the command line like so many people are (those people end up unfortunate victims of Windoze). I just figured that I'd throw in the instruction just incase. Ya never know, there may be someone out there reading this that DOESN'T know how to use the command line. Hopefully I saved them from having to ask.

I'm not satisfied with the GUI's provided lately either. It's good to jump into a config file and play around with it and learn what REALLY makes it tick. Good luck! I hope things work out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Telex4

I recently got this working, by recycling the power. The reason I did it was because you apparently have to recycle the power when switching between the USB and Ethernet interfaces.

And yes, I agree that although Mandrake's GUI tools are themselves very well done, I don't find the config files to be particularly intuitive, both in placement and syntax. That makes it annoying for experts who want to get around a problem without the GUI tools, and especially for newbies.