Help to Clean my Desktop

xboxboy

Hi all

I was installing the driver for my printer and my pc crashed. I had downloaded the file to my desktop and was executing the sh ****.run from there and it crashed.

no dramas I thought, I restarted mandriva, but my desktop is littered with files from the build. I have since done a successful driver install, but my desktop is a war zone. Is there any easy way to clear my desktop of these files? or do I delete them one by one?

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

As far as I know you will have to do it one at a time.The usual trick of holding down Ctrl and selecting all the items to be deleted by clicking on them and finally right clicking on one of them to get the menu to select delete WILL NOT WORK. It will only delete the one you right clicked on.

So yes you have to do each one in turn. A real pain in the **** (bottom, rear, buttocks, posterior, derrière, aft end, etc.). :D

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hello Aphelion.

What do you mean by lasso effect ???.

I just did a retry by putting 6 pics on the desktop and found that if I selected all the Pics the right clicked on one of them that only the one I right clicked on was deleted,.......HOWEVER if instead of clicking on the Last one to complete the selection, I right clicked on it and selected Delete then it deleted all of them and not just the last one.

It seems the first routine works in Konqueror. But on the desktop you need the second routine.

SilverSurfers idea is by far the best one so you can use Konqueror and its edit menu. :thumbs:

It is so obvious that I had even forgotten it. :D

Cheers. John.

What do you mean by lasso effect ???.

Lasso, you know, left click and drag around the files you want to select multiple files.

For me It doesn't matter which file I right click on, I can click on any of the selected files, select delete and they will all be deleted, I can't imagine it being any other way, it seems strange to me that it would be any other way.

Ok thanks guys. I'll have to get on it.

As for this:

I stupidly accidentally deleted my Home icon as well. :wall: :wall:

Cheers. John.

Nice to know this kinda thing happens to experienced users. Sorry John, but that is funny. :lol2: