Video playback with compiz on 2008.1 Intel system

aRTee

Has anyone else experienced problems with video playback on Mandriva 2008.1 Spring?

On my Intel T7200 Core 2 Duo laptop with gma945 graphics, which works great with 2008.0 incl compiz-fusion, etcetc, I have the following issues:

- video playback stalls after half a second or less when using pulse audio

- with alsa the video will play, but cpu load on one core will go up to and beyond 90%, with the CPU frequency going up to the max (1992 MHz), the second cpu will jump between various frequencies, rarely be at the lowest

- full screen or otherwise scaled video windows look ugly like you've never seen before

- after issuing 'kwin --replace &' suddenly video plays back fine (except for some tearing that seems inherent to these open source friendly and linux-well-supported but otherwise crappy graphics - I'll happily buy a nice amd/ati combo as soon as the ati hardware is fully supported including 3d/aiglx and such)

(related to tearing - I seem unable to configure the hardware to use my modelines with 50 and 60 Hz vertical refresh, which did work with the older driver unless I'm mistaken - but this is just an aside)

BTW with 2008.0 the same video will have one cpu up to 15% loaded (gkrellm) at 996 MHz. Yes, that's a whopping factor 10 more cpu power (5 times higher load with 2x higher clock frequency).

I tried with X11/xv, X11/xshm, opengl all on aiglx vs kwin with xv, gmplayer and xine. And vlc for kicks. Same thing everywhere....

I did find some comments on the web that hinted at similar issues, but I saw also that for instance AdamW who has an Intel based system as well mentioned he has no issues with video at all...

Any feedback is appreciated, even if it's just to say: "me too"...

Without the plugin, you have to use x11 output when Compiz is in use. With the plugin, you can use xv, supposedly.

I don't generally run Compiz on my system, and I don't play much video on it either (I use my HTPC for that). I've watched a bit lately, but not with Compiz turned on. Try using the plugin above, and xv output. Does that help?

Ok, my initial report was not clear enough - but indeed I did use the video plugin, and video indeed does work.

The load is just unacceptably high.

BTW with xshm it's actually more like a slow motion playback thing - but the cpu load stays below 100%... ?!?

AdamW, could you have a look if you see the same - I know you have an Intel based system as well, do you have a system with 945 or 965 (x3100) graphics?

Edit: the videoplugin is working, I can reduce the size of the playback window and then zoom in, and it will scale nicely.

Edited by aRTee

I got the fix from the compiz-fusion forums:

the latest Intel drivers use EXA by default, so you have to change that to XAA in your xorg.conf. Put

Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"

in the Device section of your xorg.conf

All is well now!