quad core, used one with MDV?

mindwave

Title says it all.

Last fall I upgraded to an X2 5600 (the 6000's were way out of my league), and noticed a HUGE jump when compared to my intel duo 3800.

Of course I would LOVE a MB that supports at least 2 quad core processors, you know 2 quad cores each core at 2800, with 64GB of ram (8GB per core) and a few terabytes of storage.

BUT short of a lottery win, that wont be THIS year.

just wondering if anyone has run MDV on eith an intel or AMD quad and what their experience was?

For me, it really does feel like an exponential jump from the intel duo to the amd X2, but then i also went from 1.5GB of ram to 4GB and from PATA to SATA so I'm sure all that helped

your experience?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

I don't think that the CPU has a large impact on performance as long as you only use the computer for basic tasks like office, email or surfing, amount and speed of memory, pata vs. sata might have more impact, but when you use virtualization software or games, you should notice a difference. At the moment indeed there is not that much software that really supports quad cores, you can run it on the quad core but it won't really use its full potential, this is even the case with many applications on dual cores, although I have the impression that linux makes better use of multi core CPUs than windows (no hard facts just my personal impression from using both OS on dual-core machines).

In some cases a higher clocked dual core can be faster than a slower quad core. Multithreaded tasks will benefit from multiple cores, while single threads will benefit from higher CPU-clocks.

I have an opteron 185 system and one with an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ EE, both with 2 Gig RAM, the 6000 is much faster when booting and feels snappier, but I don't think that is an effect coming from the marginally faster CPU but the use of SATA Disks on my newer system.

Since I don't have a quad core at the moment I can't say how well it works, but normally there should be no problem, since actual mandriva kernels have support for smp.

(I get my phenom tomorrow, then I might be able to tell more).

I could see the impact of the amount of memory and dual channel memory on my notepook, after going up from 1 GB (single channel) to 2 GB (dual channel) it booted much faster.

Edited by lavaeolus

Ok now I have my Phenom 9850 BE, Mandriva 2008.1 starts without problems, all 4 Cores are recognized, CnQ works, allthough it seems to work only on 2 Cores, when booting all 4 cores work on the low frequency, when I set the cpu to performance 2 cores scale up, the 2 others remain at the low frequency (don't know if this is a general behaviour with quad cores, especially phenoms or if it is because I just replaced my 6000+ with the phenom without reinstalling my system). The variable Multiplier seems not to work in Linux, I set the multiplier to 13x but in Linux it still remains at max 2,5 MHz. All in all my Linux experience is still much better than windows XP so far (BSOD), seems to need a reinstall (it's windows, what did I expect ?).

I remember reading somewhere, that you'll mostly find your system running in dual core mostly because there's not a lot of stuff supporting more than this right now. But should get better in the near future. Any compiling you do won't use more than two processors either. At least from where I read about it.....

you can bind an application to a core, say you have 3 virtual machines running, each uses its own core and there is still one core for your host system, there are a few games that support quad cores (afaik UT III does). But yes at the moment there are not that much applications that make use of the potential of a quad core.

ok after reinstall Windows works, but I'm still trying to find my way through the thousands of options with memory timings, voltages and frequencies.

Edited by lavaeolus

It's a nice toy I must admit, had some problems with the BIOS, but now it works very well, I'm just trying to overclock the beast a bit, and it seems that I found a well-engineered example, 3 GHz without raising vcore is not bad for a phenom, at 3,1 GHz with std. vcore my screen went black, but since I don't want to fry it ill leave it there. The only thing that bugs me a bit, at the moment I can raise the Multiplier only with AMD Overdrive, it just does not show any reaction to the multi I set in the BIOS, so I'm stuck at 2,5 GHz in Linux, although it feels faster with 2,5 GHz in Linux compared to 3 GHz in Windows.

Aaargh, had this TLB-Bug thing enabled, although my CPU is bug-free, after disabling it virtualbox is much faster.