Masking I.P. address under Mandriva - Firefox

JOE_X!!!

Helloo and greetings to everyone,

I would really appreciate some assistance on the following issue:

Can you give me a hint of How can I effectivelly Hide my i.p. address under Mandriva/Firefox while browsing and sending e-mail.

:help:

Thank you.

Edited by JOE_X!!!

You can achieve this by using the app tor. It's available in the repos. You'll need tor, privoxy & tork (this is a frontend to control tor). There's only one file you initially need to configure and that's the /etc/privoxy/config file.

Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}

Yes I downloaded TOR but cannot start it - there are no instructions, hence nothing changes.

Could you advise me how to start the program.

Why hide I.P.?

And Why not?

I guard my self against bad unhealthy interests besides It is absolutely normal to hide IP address like concealing any other personal information from the third parties.

* You close your door so that nobody can come into your residence.

* You hide your mobile phone number if you want so. Millions of people do it. So why not?

You can either start it from the services section in the Mandriva Control Centre or do a Reboot and it will start automatically. Both tor and privoxy need to be running. Did you make the advised changes in the /etc/privoxy/config file? You really need to make those changes before using it.

Why would you want to 'hide' it in the first place?

In some countries e. g. Germany it might be a good idea to hide as much as possible what you are doing on the web (we are going to get some really weird laws here lately).

You can either start it from the services section in the Mandriva Control Centre or do a Reboot and it will start automatically. Both tor and privoxy need to be running. Did you make the advised changes in the /etc/privoxy/config file? You really need to make those changes before using it.

First Thank you for your advices.

Now I used the link "ac_dispatcher" gave above and now a red character message appeared in my down- right corner of Firefox which states "Tor disabled" wken I click on it it changes green however then I cannot open any page because I get a message "Proxy refuses connection"

Can you pls explain me , step by step, how to do the advised changes in the /etc/privoxy/config file siince I am new at programming.

If the government wants to find out your IP address, chances are nothing short of unplugging your computer and never getting online again will stop them.

Yes that is right, but at least we should not make life to easy for them :D.

TOR isn't absolutely sure anyway, because the exit notes can be targeted, there is always one point, where you or your proxy or exit node needs to show their IP-Adress, it was just an explanation why someone might want to hide something (his IP-Adress in this case).

Can you pls explain me , step by step, how to do the advised changes in the /etc/privoxy/config file siince I am new at programming.
Sorry reply has taken so long, I had to go out. Right, I'll list the steps so you can follow.

1. Press Alt & F2

2. Type: kdesu kwrite /etc/privoxy/config (or copy and paste that in) and click run.

3. Enter your root password and click ok. Now you are working as root so you need to be careful and avoid making any mistakes.

Going from the top, find this sentence:

# Long lines can be continued on the next line by using a `\' as the

# last character.

#

Make a blank line here and add this to that blank line exactly as I have written it: forward-socks4a / 127.0.0.1:9050 .

It should look like this if done correctly:

# Long lines can be continued on the next line by using a `\' as the

# last character.

#

forward-socks4a / 127.0.0.1:9050 .

#

#

# 1. LOCAL SET-UP DOCUMENTATION

Now find this section:

# 2.6. logfile

#

# Specifies:

#

# The log file to use

Continue to scroll down and make sure you see this entry: #logfile logfile as long as it looks like that you don't need to do anything, if it doesn't have the # at the beginning, put one there.

Next continue to scroll down and you should see this entry: #jarfile jarfile again if it looks like this then you don't need to do anything.

The final thing to do is at this section:

#debug 1 # log each request destination (and the crunch reason if Privoxy intercepted the request)

#debug 4096 # Startup banner and warnings

#debug 8192 # Non-fatal errors

Change it to look like this:

#debug 1 # log each request destination (and the crunch reason if Privoxy intercepted the request)

debug 4096 # Startup banner and warnings

debug 8192 # Non-fatal errors

Now save and close the file. Either restart privoxy from the services section in the Mandriva Control Centre or reboot.

Make sure your torbutton is coloured green, now you're good to go.

Oh and to confirm your ip has been masked, check it at one of the many sites that show you your ip.

If you log in as root then don't bother with kdesu at the beginning of that command. If it comes back blank again, are you sure you have privoxy installed?