Missing Apps & Libs [solved]

SilverSurfer60

I thought it was about time I asked about this little problem I have that certain apps and their dependencies are not listed when I do a search in MCC, fully updated via easy urpmi, yet I can still install them from the cli. It came to my attention yesterday when I wanted to re-install mysql. Went to mcc to install it with the associated libs and it wasn't listed :unsure: so I refreshed all the sources from easy urpmi and it still didn't come up. Shucks I thought no more mysql, so I tried the cli, as in 'urpmi mysql', and lo and behold I got the lot. Have I missed something along the way, anybody?

I think this will be catching lots of people out for some time to come. For me it's just not obvious that it's not showing you everything. If it's to be restricted by default then it should be obvious that it's restricted.

What confused me even more was that the java runtime "IcedTea" was listed (it has a GUI?) but Sun's java runtime wasn't listed. That's when I deleted my repository listings and set up new ones, thinking that my repository was broken.

It's new for 2008 Spring. Based on the feedback so far I might suggest changing it for 2009...
Yes please change it back. It makes more sense to view all available packages by default. If the view needs restricting then, I'll do it.

What confused me even more was that the java runtime "IcedTea" was listed (it has a GUI?) but Sun's java runtime wasn't listed. That's when I deleted my repository listings and set up new ones, thinking that my repository was broken.
Same here, grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Nice to see I'm not the only plonker then. :P

Neddie your prize was going to be a mars bar, but, after I had scraped the muck off when it fell in the pig pen I found the horse had chewed too much off the end. Ah well it's the thought that counts. :D