47 members have voted

1. 1. Choose which option best describes your systems at home

• Only Mandriva system(s)
    • Mix of Mandriva and non-Mandriva systems
    • Other Linux system(s)
    • Just Mac system(s)
    • Something else (or none)
    • Mix of Linux/Mac/other systems, but no Mandriva

Ubuntu, as it should surprise anyone. But now-and-then Arch linux if I'm bored and don't have anything else to do with my projects (UGA, modding, guide writting etc.) so it have been awhile since last time as there's lot to do most of the time.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

I have openSUSE 10.3. I started in SUSE, with the help of some friends here, when SUSE was 9.1. While I enjoy openSUSE for the most part, there are somethings that annoy me. As for as the Software Installer in openSUSE (YaST is the tool, and Software Management is the module), it's not perfect. It needs parallel downloading. It also drives me crazy that the gui for the software module connects to zypp and then to rpm. Why not just go right to rpm? Don't get me wrong, zypp is extremely powerful. I also don't like Sax2. At the top of the xorg.conf script it says that it was generated by YaST (which is ok), but it then goes on to say "do not edit"!! WTF?! So you have an ATI or Nvidia card and you're new to Linux or openSUSE, you go to edit xorg.conf and see that and now your stopped. If you heed the warning, you're confused. How are you supposed to make changes with out editing, especially when Sax2 doesn't have all the options?

What made me switch was the problems with urpmi. I had all the repos set up, so that wasn't the problem. Urpmi simple didn't handle dependencies well. Zypp, in this regard, handles dependencies much better. I can hear someone saying urpmi has improved. I am sure, but I also do stay on top of urpmi, so I am familiar with the changes.

Any way, I am not looking for a debate. If you wish to start one on package management, please open a new thread.

I have remained with openSUSE since SUSE 9.1, and have contributed to it by writing howto's, and even starting in programming. I try to remain distro agnostic, as I don't want to limit myself. I have tried gentoo and saybayon. I found portage annoying. To me, one of the most important things of a system is the package manager. If it doesn't perform well, I don't stay long. I also don't like resource hungry distros. To me, this shows poor planning and implementation. Of course configuration and detection is important. That goes with out saying. But then most distros do well in this area. Finally, eye candy. To me, openSUSE has met all these criteria. I do miss the Mandriva partition tool. That was one tool I really enjoyed.

Home system: 100% Mandriva

Work-laptop: Sadly Windows XP Pro (due to Canon EOS utilities, which do not run under Mandriva/Linux but which I need for my job)

Hehehe... How things change... Now it's Home system: 100% Ubuntu :lol2:

Mandriva on my mainpc, mandriva on my old compaq pc, mandriva on my old lappy and winxp on another compaq which I haven't used in ages. So I put mixed. Tried Debian about 5 years ago and it was that that got me into Linux. Found Mandrake/Mandriva, liked it and stuck with it.

Interesting - so from the people who have voted so far, it looks like around 40% have only Mandriva, around 80% have some Mandriva, and (of course) everybody has at least some kind of Linux :D

That seems to disprove those who reckon that all mub users have drifted away from Mandriva, sounds pretty healthy to me.

As for me, I put myself as "Only Mandriva". Actually my machine is triple boot, with XP (which I boot maybe once every few months or so, just to try something out or make a screenshot), Debian Etch (just to fool around with, used very very rarely) and Mandriva 2007.1 (well over 95% of the time). So to all intents and purposes, only Mandriva.

Arch Linux everywhere (I still have to decide about a lappy I'm going to buy). It has all the advantages Gentoo has, but you don't have to compile everything from source, and its initscripts are simple enough to be understood even from non-technical users, like me.

That seems to disprove those who reckon that all mub users have drifted away from Mandriva, sounds pretty healthy to me.

I don't recall anyone saying that all MUB users have drifted away from Mandriva. :unsure:

With such a small sample size (45), I would be a bit more reserved when making a judgement based on the results. I would be more inclined to say that the poll "indicates", rather than "proves". ;)

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

I don't recall anyone saying that all MUB users have drifted away from Mandriva. :unsure:

With such a small sample size (45), I would be a bit more reserved when making a judgement based on the results. I would be more inclined to say that the poll "indicates", rather than "proves". ;)

Agreed. With this forum having 18388 registered users, and a poll sampling of 45 votes is less than 1% of the registered users. There isn't enough of a response in the poll to get even a remotely decent sampling. So it would be more accurate to say that this poll is more out of curiosity and fun, than to prove anything. 184 votes would give a 1% sampling from this forum. So let's just have fun, and not worry about any scientific accuracy or representation.