Opinions on CD-Burning Software?...

Guest JaseP

Guest JaseP

I'm trying to determine what CD-Burning software for Linux is the best to use. I currently use Mandrake 8.2.

I'd like to use software that is fairly easy to use, like the drag and drop options in Windoze XPee.

I know this question has been asked like a millions times, but what, in your opinion, is the easiest to use burning software for both Data and music.

Guest JaseP

The webpage says the latest version of k3b runs only on KDE 3.1.

I need something that runs on Mandrake 8.2.

I've tried gCombust... seems to go ok and then I get error messages and don't end up with a useable result.

I tried xCDRoaster, but it's too cryptic.

I probably have a permissions error too.

Does anyone know of a tutorial on CD burning under Linux for burning newbies (my CD burners on my Windoze laptop from work and my new Linux box are my first CD burners.)

If your after a no-frills just works experience, you'd be well worth trying xcdroast. Its been included in just about every version of Mandrake. Its got all the basic features and is very reliable. Otherwise K3B is also nice to use in my experience.

I have k3b under 8.2. I think I installed it right off the 8.2 CDs:

k3b-0.5.1-2mdk.i586.rpm

Not the very latest version of course 'cause it's KDE2, but it works fine. I like gcombust better myself for a gui burner. But more and more I find myself using burnCDDR from a console. In fact, I find myself using text-based stuff for almost everything anymore.

if you're using MDK, adding your username to the cdrw (i think that's what it's called) group should do the trick....atleast i think i remember MDK having that group....