SBLive and Geforce 3

Guest Graeme43

I have a board with on-board sound (AC97) and I am using a SB Live. You should not be using the ac97 codec; the fact that you are means that you do not have it turned off. So, go into your bios and make sure that you have it all off. In my bios for an Epox 8k9a, I have two seperate areas that I must go to in order to remove onboard ac97 chip. After you verify that it is completely off, then reconfigure your sound card in MCC, as suggested.

Mandrake only makes the mods that it will detect. It is detecting your on board sound.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mandrake is detecting the chip, because it is loading the module. My machine doesn't even try to load the module; mandrake doesn't know it's there. Check for "game ports" and "sb emulation" in the bios and make sure it is all disabled. What kind of mb is it?

Guest Graeme43

now no linux will install, mandrake locks up at summary screen ( mouse moves, does not progress, and window where config would be is just grey ( no writing ) and redhat gets error copying install image :cry: :shock: :x

why were you trying to install again?

you should have left one install on so that we could help you through your issues. re-installing wouldn't fix it.

I assume you now have a non-working system?

I think tyme is right. You should not do expert. Just a standard install to get a functioning system, so that we can troubleshoot it. When I first moved from windex to linux, I was also used to the reinstall-in-order-to-fix-it routine. Linux is not like that, but you do need a functioning system to a command line in order to accomplish troubleshooting!! :wink:

It would not be the expert install that would freeze, it's gotta be something now different in the bios. (And if I'm right, I feel he should then go on with the expert install once this weirdness is resolved - to allow for configuring the sound and removing any unwanted on-board sound).

===============================================

OK - what did you change in the bios?

Guest Graeme43

all i need to do is remove the onboard sound, i had the jumper taken out as well before i even started with linux :shock:

I didnt change anything in the bios :|

only the onboard sound ( AC97 ) is set at disabled, but with it "disabled" it still installed