MDV thinks I'm on 2009 cooker?

mindwave

now heres a strange one.

if youve seen my other thread you know i recently upgraded from 2008 to 2008.1 nd i thought things were going well, then found that only the alternate server kernel selection at boot would load my KDE.

now MCC is saying that it thinks that its 2009 cooker

anyone have any idea on how i might change its mind?

j

Do you/have you had cooker repo's enabled, during and after your upgrade?

well if I did I;m not sure how, I deliberately went in and cleared everything out before I started.

But that certainly LOOKS like what thye situation is doesnt it?

Buteven after changing the repos last night back to the PWP DVD and the "offical" repos for 2008.1, its all still saying 2009

i'm wondering if I should just limp alonmg until 2k9 comes out?

I HATE to di it, and am in fact working on backing up everything now for a drive up re install.

I just hate THAT idea even more.

FYI. I attempted the errata/bug fix (I was one of the 1st guys to get the "upgrade failure) and when I used the replace pkgs command it didnt generate any errors, but didnt seem to do anything else either.

then the KDE options errored out, it said that they were already installed?

curiouser and curiouser

anyone have ANY ideas?

anyone know when 2k9 is due out? :wall:

Buteven after changing the repos last night back to the PWP DVD and the "offical" repos for 2008.1, its all still saying 2009

Mandriva announced on the 11th of April that Cooker will unfreeze very soon. So if you were using the Cooker repos after that date, you probably have some Cooker packages installed.

Mandriva announced on the 11th of April that Cooker will unfreeze very soon. So if you were using the Cooker repos after that date, you probably have some Cooker packages installed.

oy,

anyone have any ideas (other than a clean install - which is what its looking like) to remove them?

Type the followng in a console rpm -qa --last | head -100, it will show you a list of the last 100 packages installed. Have a look through them and see the extent, how many cooker packages you actually have installed. You can also increase the number from 100 to whatever you wish in checking.

You could also just bite the bullet, and remove any cooker repo's from your sources, and continue on, and see how it goes. I say remove the cooker sourses, as just unselecting them may not be enough, as there was a bug that even thought you may have unselected them, or didn't have them selected as update medium, they would still get used. If you use the MCC, and check updates from there, and select ALL updates, it will also show them I believe, and if you selected to install all the updates shown there, you would get cooker stuff, so it might be best to actually remove them, you can always add them back temporarily if you need a quick trip to cooker land :)

anyone know when 2k9 is due out?

It will be around October I guess, going on a six monthly release schedule.

Edited by aphelion

well i decided last night that I couldnt wait for the fall.

so i backed up my /home, resized my partitions, made \home a seperate partition and did a complete fresh reinstall.

some interesting things to note.

i've never done the backup home, reinstall trick before so i copied EVERYTHING off to another drive, performed the re install, created one user, logged in as THAT user, and then copied the \home for my main user back.

reboot, logged in as the alternate, created the "master" user, reboot and tried to login as the master.

git an interesting error about my \tmp files being full.

logged back in as the alternate, and lo and behold had an almost 3GB \tmp

killed that, rebooted, attempted to log back in, and got a VERY long login process.

by the time I left for work it still hadnt finished.

now i'm thinking at this point that MAYBE :P i didnt do something 100% correctly.

so if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them!