2008 Spring one install went wrong

bamboccio

Hi,

I did a fresh install of One 2008 Spring on my aunt's PC. The live booted up OK, Mandriva started and the live install went OK. So I did setup a few users, a bit of KDE config and then went to do terminate session and the user interface disappeared (it seemed to crash) and no more prompt, nothing! I then restarted and half way the booting process it stopped with no messages or command prompt just a black screen. I tried the safe mode and it booted on the command line but when I type xinit then a flash on the screen and it all becomes black. I tought it may be the APCI problem so I added nolapic noapic apci=off on the command line of GRUB but nothing...

I then tried to reboot from the live disk but again no joy :( Anyone any ideas? My aunt is very depressed and so I am :(

Thanks!

Wow, you were right, it's a monitor config problem. The monitor she has it's an old CRT one. I still have not configured it but I tried with another flat screen monitor and it worked. I now need to find out how to configure the CRT. When I change the monitor settings and do test it goes black so I cannot even see how to leave the test :wall: Any pointers?

Thank you!!!!

I have deleted the xorg.config file and created a new one. Now Mandriva starts OK with the CRT monitor too but the text, windows and icons look huge. I am using the same resolution as Win XP does with the the same monitor so it's not a resolution setting problem.

I am really not sure what it can be :( Any ideas?

Thanks!

I don't think the exit button can be at fault. Apart from bad luck, I don't see what could have caused your problem…

As for 'Ctrl'+'Alt'+'-', it is indeed a nice trick to know. Unfortunately, it won't keep your prefered resolution between reboots. For that, look at "gnome-display-properties" (Gnome), krandrtray (KDE), or xrandr (generic).

Yves.

I don't think the exit button can be at fault. Apart from bad luck, I don't see what could have caused your problem…

I will not try it on my aunt PC again but on 2 out of 2 occasions Mandriva (X11 as you pointed out) crashed when I did close session (close session, not stop or restart the PC). As you said maybe it was just bad luck, we can leave this one to the futures generations :)

Many thanks for your help, brilliant as usual!

Edited by bamboccio

I experienced a similar problem with the fglrx driver on my notebook, but since I don't need 3D there I just used the vesa-driver.

I experienced a similar problem with the fglrx driver on my notebook, but since I don't need 3D there I just used the vesa-driver.

Ah, OK so maybe it was because I used the proprietary ATI driver... Anyway my aunt now is happy with her new Linux install and is already using her digital camera so I will leave it her for a bit :)

Thanks!