RealPlayer frustration

WilliamS

I've never got it to work and I've tried about 5 times over the past year :roll: no errors either....just sits there looking like the poor linux port it is. :roll: I don't spend a lot of time trying because it appears as though it just works for people...but not me :cry:

well, the realoneplayer is an alpha version. you can get it from Real.com when you go to the download page for realplayer. There is a virtually impossible to notice link at the bottom of the page. it's not worth trying out though imho.

I can only say that I never had any problems with realplayer - I've installed the one from Mandrake club, Real's rpm, Texstar's rpm and they all work for me - which doesn't help you at all, of course. :roll:

I use the RealPlayer RPM from MandrakeClub, and it works fairly well even when embedded in a web page. But I have found that it doesn't like arts very much. If an app has used arts a few minutes before I try to run RealPlayer it freezes on start-up. My solution is simply to leave a nice big gap between running an app with sounds and RealPlayer. Or running RealPlayer in IceWM.

A lot of twiddling, and still all I get is a small window showing name of the radio station.

I'm using RealPlayer-8.0-5mdk.i586.rpm

What happens when I click on a link is the small window mentioned above.

At http://service.real.com/test/ the sound is perfect.

And when I try View/Preferences/Transport/Automatically select best transport/auto-configure it says: could not connect.

Anyone?

what is a small window? apparently you do get at least the menus and it is playing all right. What exactly are you missing?

Do the video streams play?

automatic transportation configuratrion does not work for me either - probably b/c my router has a firewall enabled - but that doesn't prevent me from playing streams and you can play streams as well if I understood you right.