Maximizing bandwidth with DS3 and Linux/Pro 1000

n9nu

Hello to all. I provide wireless server to a large part of north central Illinois and have been given un-throttled access as far as bandwidth is concerned. This is because I let them use my 100' ham radio tower as a Sector. I have a special Hitachi CAT 6 cable coming in to my room with an RJ-45 connector in which I used to plug into a cheap home router (D-Link EBR-2310). I was happy until I was told that I was given un-throttled bandwidth for my personal use...I then became very happy. That is between 40-50Mbit...as this sector is new and not fully loaded yet. I hooked the cable directly into my Linux box via the #1 Intel Pro 1000/Gigabit NIC card and set that one up for a static IP. I ran a reliable speedtest and received the results below.

262361362.png

Since we continually get more than 45mbit of throughput via the wireless link, I can only get what you see above. I was told that I can tweak my Intel Pro 1000 NIC to improve some aspects and possibly increase that rate, but when I go to the hardware info page in the Control Center, it just shows the following:

snapshot1.jpg

There is no place to enter other commands like Jumbo packets, etc., so I was wondering if anyone knows where I can obtain info on tweaking an Intel Pro 1000 NIC to maximize my throughput or any other tips that would help. Should I re-compile the kernel to change settings or add special ones?

SYSTEM SPECS:

Linux Mandriva 2009 (Cooker)64 Bit Edition

AMD 64 Bit CPU (2.8GHz)

3GB of DDR2 D/C

2 Intel Pro 1000 Gigabit NIC cards (PCI)

Thank You

Tim Dickerson

[moved from Networking by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]