Korean input

Just John

Trying to get Korean working on my computer, tried installing scim-hangul-skim which says it's a setup for hangul (the korean character system). Did that and dependencies and got this skim thing going, but it doesn't let me choose input systems. The program seems to run perfectly fine, but it just doesn't give me anything to choose from, even after I installed japanese as well and made sure everything was enabled. Even restarted x a couple times. When I click to change language a blank line shows up where the box to select an input language should be. Looks like this.

snapshot3xi8.png

Any help?

No one's done this?

I don't know if this will help you much, because it relates to Japanese and not Korean, but I'll put it out there anyway. I found that I had to edit/add the ~/.i18n file to get this going properly. Mine currently looks like this:

LC_TELEPHONE=ja_JP.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_GB.UTF-8:en_GB:en
LC_MONETARY=ja_JP.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=ja_JP.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=ja_JP.UTF-8
LC_NAME=ja_JP.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=ja_JP.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=ja_JP.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=ja_JP.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8
[b]GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
QT_IM_MODULE=scim
XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM[/b]

Note that I'm using scim and not skim, too. I've used it for a while now and have had no trouble with it so far.

Hope this helps you a little.

I'll take a look, but I'm a little leery of making changes to skim based on what works in scim. Any kde users out there?

Sorry, I wasn't 100% clear. I'm using scim in KDE, and can get Korean out of it (like this 냉 - I hope that's not something offensive...)

AFAIK, the ~/.i18n file is a user-related file, rather than just skim/scim.