New Board

mystified

Regarding the hardware list... google "linux hardware compatibility list". They've got significant problems with remaining up to date as well. I still see people say that hardware is unsupported when there's a native driver. Additionally, most questions about hardware support are current pieces of hardware, and these tend to take a while to make it onto HCLs.

As far as iphitus goes, he's just basically saying it's a bad idea and that it's going to fail and there's no way it can be interpreted any other way.

I said those suggestions as stated probably wouldn't go great. I didn't say that it couldnt be interpreted another way or implemented differently.

Just like marketing a product... we need to find some way to be different from existing attempts. Simply making yet another multi distro forum alike LQ won't guarantee success. People only see the successes, and assume if you emulate that, success will come. It's not so. There's heaps of forums that never make it off the ground.

I don't mean to be a cold shower, but something has to be done differently to gain a reasonable membership - embedding flash video won't be enough.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hardware compatability list is definitely a good idea Steve. That and some of the one's from ilia_kr would definitely work. But aside from that if you think I shouldn't diversify too much I need other topics that would help create a unique board. Sorry if I'm making your brains hurt. :P

Very selfish suggestion :cheesy: :

I'd love to see a place where I can get help about audio and video processing in Linux:

- the concepts / the meaning of all those filters in mencoder…

- answers to miscellanous questions I have about the audio track processing…

Yves.

So you think Mandria provides better support than we do? Plus we're losing members because they're switching distros. It'd be nice to provide them an alternative so we keep our community intact.

Steve I fixed my spelling error. :P

My two cents (actually with the economy...my 5 cents):

There may be a loss of members to other distros, but they will come back (hopefully). I have been off into other distros and have come back to Mandriva repeatedly because IT works!! Wireless with Netgear is flawless and painless. Updates work and only my stupid mistakes break anything. I guess the biggest issue with Linux is the vast array of choices that are available.

New board input:

I have read the input from others and I kinda agree that a board that is geared toward useage of applications, availability and that sort of thing would be more useful.

Better support? I come here first!

In closing, I would be interested in any board that provides useful info.

Best of Luck,\

Randy3011

Thanks for all your suggestions. I appreciate it. But after all the flak I have caught in the mod forum saying that I am doing this to intentionally hurt MUB I am going to shut the board down. I am also stepping down as admin. The best of luck to you all.

So you gave up? Why?

Why do you care so much about what people say? If you want to create that forum than go for it. If someone doesn't want to use it he won't. From my experience only 5 or 6 people on MUB actually do help others, the rest, including me, come here to chat or don't have enough knowledge to help. Most don't even use Mandriva and have forgotten all they knew about it, like myself. I think that your idea for forum that isn't distro specific is a great one and i don't see how it will harm MUB.

Sorry for a harsh tone...

Edited by ilia_kr

But after all the flak I have caught in the mod forum saying that I am doing this to intentionally hurt MUB I am going to shut the board down. I am also stepping down as admin. The best of luck to you all.

Mysti, this is not necessary and I really wish that you would reconsider stepping down as an admin.

I have devoted 7 years of my time and energy into helping to make this board a success. To be told that I'm intentionally doing this to try to destroy what I have helped create is too much. I don't know what else to do. Sorry to let everybody down.

In my opinion illia_kr makes a good point. Similarly the Mandriva club forum seems to have established itself as a place for support. Furthermore I think the bitching between members (apparently mods as well) is also a contributing factor, even worse is the double standards shown by some mods.

These are the things hurting MUB! Stop trying to make Mysti a scapegoat for trying to do something for herself, otherwise you are no better than a bunch of petty, squabbling children.

To be told that I'm intentionally doing this to try to destroy what I have helped create is too much.

The decision of course is totally up to you, but, all that really matters is that you know that this is not true, and those that know you the best, would also know this, what the others think, bah, who cares what they think

Sorry to let everybody down.

As long as you don't let yourself down.

Do what is right for you, of course there will be other considerations, but in the end, it's not a life and death matter, so, Do what is right for you

What's right for me is working as an admin on this board because paul and I are the technical admins and we make such a good team. I've really enjoyed this tremendously. I just wanted to start a project of my own. I never expected that kind of animosity. But I really appreciate the support. Maybe I'll give it a day or two to thinks things over.