New Board

mystified

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to throw my 2 cents in though some of my thoughts were already mentioned by others.

I tend to agree with Iphitus in a lot of things. My experience tells me that distro specific forums give better support since you can get better skills by learning one distro than learning multiple distros even if there are a lot of the same problems among distros.

The official Mandriva support forum IS a good place for support especially since Adam arrived there. Though this forum may have lost from its user base the official forum has an increasing number of users. Mandriva may be not the first distro anymore but it's not going down. (Btw I proposed a few times in the official forum to use MUB as THE official Mandriva forum but the powers that might be decided against it).

A lot of you mentioned an idea which would make distrostop.org different from other forums. I think this is the most important thing and I still fail to see that idea. Without it you have a bigger chance to fail than not. Just like making a movie starts (or should start) with a good script. If you don't have that your movie will most likely suck. So before doing anything I suggest you to find that idea.

About splitting up the user base. I don't care if fewer newbies come here. But I do care if old time users like you Mysti or Paul have less time to visit this board. Old time users are the ones who keep this board alive.

But since you seem to be determined to keep distrostop I wish you the best of luck.

.....But I do care if old time users like you Mysti or Paul have less time to visit this board. Old time users are the ones who keep this board alive.

I have a MUB tattoo ..

nah just kidding .. but I should get one ;)

You know, every time Mysti is bored she goes about changing the board. This time she has decided to put her energies toward a new board. I'm beginning to think that maybe it is time for her to have kids, just to keep her occupied. :P

Edited by RVDowning

You know, every time Mysti is bored she goes about changing the board. This time she had decided to put her energies toward a new board. I'm beginning to think that maybe it is time for her to have kids, just to keep her occupied. :P

Yeah, little vampires running about. Oh yeah, she already has at least one I'm aware of.

You know, every time Mysti is bored she goes about changing the board. This time she has decided to put her energies toward a new board. I'm beginning to think that maybe it is time for her to have kids, just to keep her occupied. :P

I have two and I'm easily bored. I'll probably keep making changes to this board too. :P

I would like to echo what previous contributors have said about requesting how to's and video clips. I would also like to see a 'solved' section or something similar where a weekly /monthly problem is explained in a bit more detail. For example I don't do anything earth shattering on my computer and when I read some the problems I am lost as to what the problem is. So I would appreciate an article/feature/discussion where a particular problem is highlighted, a few sentences or so to explain what the problem is, what causes the problem and then a few sentences to say it was solved this way instead of that and this worked because of blah blah. Not really a how to more of a why this was a problem (so thicko's like me could understand it) and then explaining why the solution worked. All to often I read that something worked but it would be nice to know / understand why it worked.

I have the embed video clips working. I also am going to set up a Hardware Compatibility wiki as soon as I can get paul to get off his butt and finish it since I don't have the password to the sql server. I will probably add a FAQ or How to section to discuss some of the most common problems and solutions and also for informational purposes.

Today is the first day I bothered to check out this thread. I have not been around mandrivausers.org all that long, and do not know much about it's history, or the history of the admins and mods here. Nevertheless, I will put in my 2 cents...

I think the idea of multiple distros on one forum is a good idea. However how your board will fly over time, I have no idea.

There are 2 issues that catch my attention on the quick browse I made just now.

* Under the list of Linux Distros, where is Mandriva? Have you really become that disillusioned with your former love?

* I find the Board Guidelines a bit draconian. Sure, it is a good idea to moderate the forum and nip ad hominem attacks at the bud, but reading your PC guidelines just turns me off. It is enough to stop me from signing up [not that I would be missed anyway].

Best wishes with your new forum.