Can no longer boot 2008.1, hdb1 partition is full

menendez

I had Mandriva 2008.1 working for about two days.

But now it will not boot.

I get an error that the /temp folder is full and KDE cannot be started.

I started up using the Live CD.

Sure enough my hdb1 partition is full.

I must have filled it up installing software from the repository.

The last things I thought I had installed were MySQL and MythTV.

Anyways, my intial partitions were about

hdb1 7.8 GB

hdb5 Swap 3.8 GB

hdb6 267 GB

I resized hdb6 down to about 257 GB and sure enough I can see that I have about 10 GB Empty

I though I would be able to just resize hdb1 from 7.8 GB to 17.8 GB (expanding it into the empty 10 GB)

But when I select resize for that partition it says the max allowable is 7.8 GB

How do I expand the hdb1 partition?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Hello there, the reason you cannot resize /hdb1 is that your other partitions are in the way so to speak. As food for thought you need to somehow have a link/alias from your existing /mnt/hdb1 to the extended 10gb. Going by my calculations you have too much data in your existing /home to be able to back it up. If you could back it up into the free 10gb you would then be able to could make the 10gb into another partition (not /home) and back up into it, delete your existing /home and /swap, resize your /hdb1 and create another swap. Create a new /home in the space you have left. Move the backed up data into the new /home, delete the partition you had the data in, and then resize the new /home.

I hope that all makes sense. Maybe someone will have a much better way of doing things.

And if you want to live dangerously, you can do the resizing and moving around also without first deleting the home directory, but this is not without risk, so do make that backup. I have never used the MandrivaCD for this and I think diskdrake can only resize and not move partitions. I prefer gparted (do a search for systemrescue LiveCD). The procedure is:

Delete anything from /home that can be deleted (~/tmp, ~/.cache, browser and java caches and any files you have lying around that you do not really want to keep. Objective is to get /home to the minimum size

Reboot from the liveCD

Shrink /home to minimum possible size

You may want to reconsider size of your swap partition. General advise used to be 2 times RAM, but I do not think that holds anymore with current amounts of RAM. I have a swap of 512MB with same amt of RAM and no complaints (even though I run some servers and climateprediction). Resize to what makes sense.

Move partitions for /home and swap to end of extended partition

Shrink extended partition which contains /hdb5 and /hdb6 by moving the start towards the startd of /hdb5

Expand the primary partition /hdb1 to fill freed up spwace

Some other ways to get your system bootable:

Boot from liveCD and delete all files in /tmp, /var/tmp

Also review files in /var/cache & /var/spool

I am making progress but sill have some problems.

I used a Gparted Live CD to move resize the partitions as you recommended.

All operations completed successfully.

And according to Gparted I have no empty sectors.

However the Mandriva Control Center does not agree.

MCC sees the disk with empty sectors as follows:

hdb1: 21GB

Empty: 7.8MB, Cylinder 2815 to 2815

hdb5 Swap: 1.9 GB

hdb6 /home: 246 GB

Empty: 9.7 GB, Cylinder 35206 to 36480

Shouldn't the first empty not exist since Cylinder is 2815 to 2815?

Also, I am having permission problems now. I can see but no longer access my hda.

And if I try to use the Mandriva Control Center to resize hdb6 into that last empty space I cannot.

I get a device busy error message.

Here is my fstab:

# Entry for /dev/hdb1 :

UUID=03d82053-6085-4098-81ca-74136eea16d9 / ext3 defaults 1 1

# Entry for /dev/hdb6 :

UUID=d95a5534-840d-4d57-8641-552b1fae1b19 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

# Entry for /dev/hdb5 :

UUID=dabf886d-e420-4edf-9544-4c696b934196 swap swap defaults 0 0

# Entry for /dev/hda1 :

#UUID=EA24F5FB24F5CA99 /media/hd ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

UUID=EA24F5FB24F5CA99 /media/hd ntfs-3g defaults 0 1

You will not be able to resize hdb6. You can only resize a partition from the end of the partition and make it smaller - you will not be able to move the beginning of the partition to make room for hdb1. If you even attempt to change the start sector/block for hdb6 you will lose all data within this partition.

21GB would be plenty for / so I don't know why you are having problems. I suggest booting a Live CD and mounting this partition, and then checking the /tmp directory and deleting any contents within here. Then see how much space has been freed up. I cannot see why 21GB should be used - have you copied any ISO images in here, or copied the contents of a CD during installation of Mandriva?

What I meant to say in my previous post was that I can now boot into Mandriva.

That was this morning before I went to work. And that was how I was able to get into the Mandriva Control Center.

I shutdown before leaving for work and now after starting I am able to access my WinXP hda when in Mandriva,

whiich I couldn't do this morning.

I guess the restart did something.

I am still seeing that strange partitioning from the Mandriva Control Center.

Edited by menendez

I have not used gparted so can't possibly comment on it, but I have used the method I suggested in the first reply post and done so successfully.

You will not be able to resize hdb6. You can only resize a partition from the end of the partition and make it smaller - you will not be able to move the beginning of the partition to make room for hdb1. If you even attempt to change the start sector/block for hdb6 you will lose all data within this partition.

is why I suggested the method I did.

21 gig should be ample for / , according to your last post it seems to be that size now.

If you do not have important data in the fragments of partitions you can consolidate them into meaningful partitions without losing anything. If I read your post correctly.