Desperate with SATA drives [solved]

Guest pendergast

Guest pendergast

Hello to all, this is my presentation.

I've been using Mandriva 2008 in a desktop for 6 months and everything has gone smoothly but I've tried to install the new spring 2008.1 in a barebone with sata dvd and sata-hd and I can't.

I've made a search in the forum and it seems that most of the problems related with sata drives comes with the sytem installed . My problem is that after the installation menu, I can't make it begin the installation. I've tried all options, including noapic nolapic but it doesn't work. It freezes in the next screen and nothing else until I reboot.

I got a debian installed in the barebone (a special cd that people mount to recognise sata drives) with noapic nolapic but I wanted to try this new Mandriva version. The barebone is a problematic one, I've tried several live cd's and dvd's and I could only install the debian one.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Pendergast

Edited by pendergast

Welcome to MUB, Pendergast.

Have you made the appropriate changes in the bios regarding SATA. The default settings in the bios do not include SATA activation not even on the very latest Mainboards. ( I just installed a new board a week ago.) If you have an older board then that certainly will be the case.

Cheers. John..

Guest pendergast

Hello, thanks for your tip.

I've changed bios and put sata as ide drives and I could install Mandriva.

Should I change the topic to (solved)?

Thanks again

Guest pendergast
I saw that you solved the problem, but is it ok to use a SATA drive as IDE? Does it have the same performance?

I changed it after installation :D :D and it's still working