Default Sound Card

aphelion

I have 2 sound cards in one of my PC's, an Audigy 2 ZS and an M-Audio Delta 44, I want the Audigy 2 to be set as the default card, as I only want to use the Delta 44 for recording with Rosegarden, Ardour etc. Until the last time I booted up everything was fine, Audigy 2 was the default card, but now the Delta 44 is. I have changed the order in /etc/modprobe.conf from

alias sound-slot-0 snd_ice1712

alias sound-slot-1 snd_emu10k1

to

alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1

alias sound-slot-1 snd_ice1712

but it just changes back after a reboot. So what do I have to do to make the Audigy 2 stay as default?

I'm not using Pulse Audio.

You help make my point stated in another thread that having to do cli edits in files to select the sound source of your choice as default is simply not good enough in this day and age. You should be able to go into MCC ..... Hardware (or somewhere) and make your choice there, do a click and it be done.

It is even worse when you have a Video capture card as a sound source as well, plus a plug-in sound card, you then have three sources (mainboard included).

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

You help make my point stated in another thread that having to do cli edits in files to select the sound source of your choice as default is simply not good enough in this day and age. You should be able to go into MCC ..... Hardware (or somewhere) and make your choice there, do a click and it be done.

It is even worse when yo have a Video capture card as a sound source as well, plus a plug-in sound card, you then have three sources (mainboard included).

Cheers. John.

In 2008.1, if you use PulseAudio (which is activated by default), then in the PulseAudio Volume Control/Output Devices you can set the default device, by right-clicking on it. (Not the most obvious place to look for this option, but a (small) step in the right direction.)

Jim

I think I have it, I made changes to the file /etc/modprobe.d/sound, so it read

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1

alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

seems fine for now, but I guess only time will tell.

I have two sound devices - onboard and usb - and have edited /etc/modprobe.conf to delete all references to sound devices and add the following:

#The following entries may be useful to keep on-board audio as the default

alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx

alias sound-slot-1 snd-usb-audio

options snd-via82xx index=0 id=default

options snd-usb-audio index=1 id=phone

#End of jim's additions

This worked on 2007.1, 2008.0 and on 2008.1 (with or without PulseAudio). My edits are retained after a re-boot. I don't have an /etc/modprobe.d/sound. I confess I've really no idea what actually goes on "under the hood". I just stick with what seems to work :)

Jim

I just had a thought - perhaps /etc/modprobe.d/sound is created because you have two non-usb audio devices. I do have an /etc/modprobe.d/snd-usb-audio.

Edited by jkerr82508

Thanks Jim but where exactly is this Pulse Audio control.

I can't see it anywhere in the Menu or in MCC Hardware Audio apart from enable PulseAudio.

This is one of the really stupid examples of introducing new programs but no info immediately upfront to indicate how to get to it if it is not in the Menu or MCC.

Cheers. John

Cheers. John.

Well, I didn't use the CLI, just the old kdesu konqueror and edit in GUI, only a technicality I know ;) , but I understand what you say, and agree, it would be best for an option somewhere that you can just click to set, like in Windows, easy as, maybe one day.

I have two sound devices - onboard and usb - and have edited /etc/modprobe.conf to delete all references to sound devices and add the following:

This worked on 2007.1, 2008.0 and on 2008.1 (with or without PulseAudio). My edits are retained after a re-boot. I don't have an /etc/modprobe.d/sound. I confess I've really no idea what actually goes on "under the hood". I just stick with what seems to work :)

Jim

I just had a thought - perhaps /etc/modprobe.d/sound is created because you have two non-usb audio devices. I do have an /etc/modprobe.d/snd-usb-audio.

Thanks, Ill keep that info in mind for further use if needed. With the entry in the /etc/modprobe.d/sound

file, everything is fine so far. I'll just see how it goes for the next few days or a week, hopefully it stays.

Thanks Jim but where exactly is this Pulse Audio control.

I can't see it anywhere in the Menu or in MCC Hardware Audio apart from enable PulseAudio.

This is one of the really stupid examples of introducing new programs but no info immediately upfront to indicate how to get to it if it is not in the Menu or MCC.

Cheers. John

I have an entry in the kmenu under "Sound and Video" for PulseAudio Volume Control. If you have the kmenu configured to show Descriptions rather than Names, then it may appear as just "Volume Control". The command to run PulseAudio Volume Control is pavucontrol. If for some reason PulseAudio was not installed in your system, then it can be installed by installing task-pulseaudio.

Other than the man pages and brief references in the Release Notes and Errata, the only place, that I know of, to find any information about PA is on their web-site:

http://pulseaudio.org/

Jim

Thanks again Jim.

I found that PulseAudio was installed. Following your mention of task-pulseaudio I found that it wasn't and on selecting it to install, it selected a huge raft of packages as well.

Installed all of them and then found the PulseAudio Volume Control in the Menu just as you suggested. It's all rather pointless at the moment since I now have only one audio source but at least I will know for the future when I install the Video Capture card back in to my Mandriva box.

I really cannot see the sense in allowing pulse-audio to be installed on its own when it is useless without the packages that task-pulseaudio calls for. And all of this without really telling anyone anything much about it in the first instance.

But then what would I know, I am only a dumb user. :huh:

Cheers. John.