Unrar & 2008.1

ixoye777

Been haapily running 2007.1 and just did a fresh install of 2008.1 yesterday. So far all is well except I can't seem to find an unrar utility anywhere.

I updated my sources using the new Easy-Urmpi but when I type in "unrar" nothing comes up in the search.

Although I have been using Mandriva for about 8 months now I really don't know much about Linux, I have never compiled anything from source. I went to rarlabs.com but they only offer the tarball. Is that what I have to do or is there something else? If I do have to use the tarball would someone give me a step by step on what to do?

Thanks guys.

It should be there, just make sure the dropdown in the top-left says "All".

It seems by default it says "Packages with GUI" and because unrar doesn't have a GUI, it doesn't appear in the list.

Confused the heck out of me too when I wanted a java JRE but searching for "java" just brought up IcedTea and not the Sun one :huh:

Or simply, get it from rarlabs and extract it at a system PATH, e.g. /usr/bin

This is a static, closed source binary, so there's no real benefit using the Mandriva RPM instead.

some people will count the avenue of upgrading as soon as a new one is packaged in the non-free repository. otherwise the user will have to track it manually if interested. integrating with the system package management also keeps a habit of maintaining everything within the packaging system.

but i also see your point. in cases like you suggested, i just put it in /opt/bin so i am reminded that it was something that i manually extracted. it all boils down to preference. :)

ciao!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It should be there, just make sure the dropdown in the top-left says "All".

It seems by default it says "Packages with GUI" and because unrar doesn't have a GUI, it doesn't appear in the list.

Confused the heck out of me too when I wanted a java JRE but searching for "java" just brought up IcedTea and not the Sun one :huh:

That did the trick. Thanks bud.

I also gave Peazip a whirl and it is a decent little app. Thanks for the advice on that mindwave.

I also appreciate the others who chimmed in with help = ]