Ralink RT73

Stevieag

I am running Mandriva 2008 PP

I have installed ndiswrapper, rt73 firmware and seemidly anything/everything needed to get my wireless working.

i've reinstalled a couple of times just so im on a clean install.

Im tonight going to reinstall again to get a clean install to start again with the good help of you guys (hopefully) (im going to try mdk one 2008.1 spring this time as opposed to the above, to see if it helps (good or bad idea?)

As it stands i can see my network, can set up in all ways (control centre, network config etc)

all seems to go well until it asks my router dchp for ip. The message then leaves and im not connected. If i specify an ip i get the message indicating that i am now associated with wlan0.... to all indications im connected but i cant even connect to my router config page.

I can easily connect via ethenet.

i've tried WEP, WPA, WPA2, NONE all to no avail

i've tried without ndiswrapper and with, using the inf from my working XP install

Has anybody successfully set up a RT73 (mines an EDIMAX)

would they be so kind as to walk me through each thing i need to do

Im on Win XP at moment for internet access so will need to flit back and forth to give updates.

Thanks in anticipation :wall:

Off i go for reinstall

Edited by Stevieag

Why are you using ndiswrapper? The native driver is working just fine... I know it because I have a RT73 adapter (Asus WL-167g usb wlan stick).

I've used it under PCLOS 2007.1 and Puppy Linux 3.01 (working right out of the box in both), as well as ArchLinux (fast+easy setup following the wiki).

Edited by scarecrow

Why are you using ndiswrapper?

it is due to the fact that in the past the only way i could get life out of the connection was to install every boot??? i lived with this as i don't shut down often. i was using ndiswrapper.

i did install 2008.1

all went well, except grub didn't find my windows partition so had to add it myself. looks good and did find my ralink edimax rt73 without problem. after a reboot it found my network and i set about entering the info needed.

what i get on network set up is associated and requsting ip from dchp. mostly just disappears to nothing but the odd time i've got past here and had a request for host name.. twice this has been sucssesful but to no avail. i can get internet access, i still cant connect to wireless router via wlan.

it is working aok under winxp as this is how im here.

giving the config an ip as opposed to dchp get me linked but nothing else.

how have others managed?

i've followed 5 differing set up read me's. ralink, ndiswrapper, wpa_supplicant etc........