Come back Distro?

ac_dispatcher

RTFT. Read the thread.

KDE4 is not complete, and the interface is NOT representative of the final interface.

The KDE4 release was to announce a stable _FOUNDATION_ -- the libraries and technology that KDE4 is built upon.

While I think they have versioned it differently, or named the release better, that's the way it is. the KDE4 desktop itself is NOT stable or ready for use.

For the record, Archlinux has an unofficial modded KDE branch, named kdemod, which alongside KDE3, offers very fresh, bleeding edge KDE4 packages- you can hardly find something newer in any other distro.

They are working fairly decently, and without serious crashes. Factly, it's the only desktop I have currently installed aside from my main one (XFCE4 that is).

All that said, you cannot use ArchLinux, or KDE4, without getting your feet wet. Bleeding edge comes at a price.

Well - by installing a few distros I got the linux bug back. So far Im on Mandriva. My .02

First boot

This thing is slick. I had nvidia drivers installed and compiz on first boot. Man that rocked.

KDE3

very nice - just like the rest of the KDE distros.

MCC

Very nice "Control Panel" that a lazy man like myself likes.

I installed KDE4. Thats when the pain started. Took me a while to figure out how to install it - until I read somewhere on the forum what package to install. Like others have said on this thread its a KDE4 problem and not a distro issue. KDE4 is junk IMO for the current status. I have high hopes though.

I booted to KDE4 - hit that widget button on the top right and selected pager widget. Moved the pager to the top of the screen. Then I browsed to the konsole app from the menu - rightclick on placed it on the taskbar.

logout out > logged back in. None of the work I just did saved. It was a default KDE4 screen. Seems Mandy KDE4 also don't save me stuff :(

Also I dont use xinerama for my dual screens. Each screen has its own taskbar / menus. Works great in KDE3 but left screen nogo in KDE4 (again).

I have another issue the mandy but thats for another thread.