? Setting up 9.1 as a Proxy

static

Can someone tell me how I could configure my 9.1 installation as a proxy/DHCP server? I just received an HP Pavillion from my grandfather and popped three network cards in it and installed 9.1 with Guarddog and Guidedog ('cause this puppy will be be gateway/firewall/router/proxy - providing DHCP to the NATed LAN).

So far - I just need to know how to configure it as a proxy/DHCP server and how to write a configuration script for the clients to reference (you know - Automatic Proxy Configuration Script). The script is less important because I could manually enter the proxy server info into the clients anyway... Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Information

• P2-300, 96mbRAM, 8GB hda with

• /boot (hda1 - 50MB)

[*]/ (hda5 - 600MB)

[*]/usr (hda6 - 2.5GB)

[*]/var (hda7 - 3.5GB)

[*]/home (hda8 - ~1.3GB)

[*]412MB hdd (swap)

[*]SMC-Ultra ISA pnp 10Mbit (eth2 {DHCP client} - Internet)

[*]Intel EPro 100 (eth0 {192.168.1.1} - LAN)

[*] " " (eth1 {192.168.1.10}- DMZ)

I'll have a server or two with static IP's in the DMZ, one static IP on the LAN as a print server. The rest in the LAN will be DCHP clients.

HOLY CRAP. I found squid, but it'll take me 6 years to read the docs! I thought it was like "proxy server: on; authentication: sure" DONE. Nope. I was up reading the friggin' CONFIG file alone for HOURS. Ouch.

OK. I'll revise the question. Anyone have a config for using squid to speed up HTTP on a LAN connected via one 56K connection? (caching)

Guest Ptaieb

I use the same setting, a mdk 9.1 as firewall and proxy, except that I do not use a proxy software (squid) but the functions of IPTABLE,

un simple line like "iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE" at the end of my /etc/rc.local do the trick. I am sure that there is a better way to do it (webmin has a great interface to set proxy, squid, shorewall...) but I am very happy with this.

it is a network address translation, every request from my internal network is send to the getaway (I set it as default gateway on the clients) than, the request is send on internet by the gateway after this one replace the IP address by its own (masquerade) then, when the reply comes back, the gateway redirect it to the intranet. cool non ?