Couldn't open DVD device: /dvd/device [solved]

Guest al3xanr0

Guest al3xanr0

Time is a luxury I do not have. After Dell's drivers caused my wife's Inspiron (there is absolutely nothing inspirational about this particular model) 1420 Vista install to crash on more than three occasions. I thought it is time to install Debian, it runs like a beauty on my Inspiron e1505. Unfortunately, the install failed for both Etch and Lenny because it failed to detect the nic. I installed Fedora 8 which worked near flawlessly with one exception (of course there is always one) the sound card was not detected, I would have eventually fixed it manually if my wife was less impatient. I haven't tried Ubuntu yet because I dislike it but I have not ruled it out. To make a rather lengthy story short I installed Mandy 2008.1 on it to ease the burden of support because Mandy is the closest you will get to the point-n-click environment of windows that the wife is hopelessly used to. Everything works perfectly with one exception thus far, gmplayer, kaffeine, kmplayer, and a host of others fail to read dvds. The necessary codecs are installed just in case you were wondering.

The following command

rpm -qa | grep libdvdread

renders the following

libdvdread3-0.9.7-7mdv2008.1
and

rpm -qa | grep libdvdcss

renders the following

libdvdcss2-1.2.9-4plf2008.1
next

rpm -qa | grep libdvdnav

renders the following

libdvdnav4-4.1.1-0.956.2mdv2008.1
finally

rpm -qa | grep codecs

renders the following

win32-codecs-1.8-2plf2007.1

Let's see what mplayer has to say

mplayer -dvd-device /dvd/device dvd://1

renders the following

MPlayer 1.0-1.rc2.10plf2008.1-4.2.2 © 2000-2007 MPlayer Team

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz (Family: 6, Model: 15, Stepping: 13)

CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1

Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

mplayer: could not connect to socket

mplayer: No such file or directory

Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing dvd://1.

Couldn't open DVD device: /dvd/device

No stream found to handle url dvd://1

A little help would be appreciated

Edited by al3xanr0

/dvd/device is most likely not the proper path to you dvd device, it's more likely to be /dev/[something] - what [something] is may be dependent on your system setup. try inserting a dvd and after it's accessible (mounted) run the mount command at the terminal to see what the proper device name is.

Guest al3xanr0

I was able to get Kaffeine to play another dvd but still getting "no stream found to handle url dvd://1" when attempting to play the same dvd in Mplayer. I think it is safe to say that it may be an Mplayer bug; if it were application or codec specific Kaffeine would have continued to exhibit the same results. Close but no cigar, if anyone else has had the same issue it would be helpful to know how you resolved it.

/dvd/device is most likely not the proper path to you dvd device, it's more likely to be /dev/[something] - what [something] is may be dependent on your system setup. try inserting a dvd and after it's accessible (mounted) run the mount command at the terminal to see what the proper device name is.

Did you try that?

All I had to do when I got the no stream found to handle url dvd://1 with Mplayer was go into Preferences/Misc/DVD Device and CD-ROM Device, and change them to the appropriate setting, in my case /dev/hdd

Guest al3xanr0

I did the following to resolve it

ln -s /dev/dvd1 /dev/dvd

, I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. Nevertheless, I appreciate all of your responses.