Software Equivalents for Newbies & Everyone

static

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jessy Christo!!! I'm out! That's insane! I knew somebody must've thought to do that before, but damn! Well here's what I'll do - I'm going to decide which of those look the best/easiest and continue my list based on the most common things people want to do. Consider mine a quick reference for the masses.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if there is something in Linux that can do the samething as Symantec's PCAnywhere?  I am looking for something that will run in Linux (Mandrake 9.1) but can hook to a computer that is the PCAnyware Remote.

I assume that I could always install PCAnywhere with WINE but why bother if there is an equivalent tool in Linux.

Static I am looking to hear from you on this one.

I didn't see an answer so I figured I'd respond to this even though it's a little old. You should look into VNC. There are lots of variants. Note that they won't actually control PCAnywhere - you'll have to put a VNC server on the Windows machine, but it's free and simple, so that shouldn't represent much of a problem. Look through some of these threads for more info:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=5668

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=5553

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=5234

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4673

And on the general topic, I find some programs to be very useful:

freenet - anonymous peer to peer (but much more, actually)

gqmpeg - iin place of xmms or zinf (when I want a GUI)

Scribus - Desktop Publishing - (for quick and dirty work, Tex, LaTeX, or Lyx for larger projects)

Siag Office Nice free office suite

simple one first:

Static, my friend uses windoze for all his mixing. He has a pretty sophisticated setup with Terratec mixer etc. and he takes it very seriously.

Professionally, when he's not a musician he programs Oracle stuff on UNIX so it really hurt me to set up his PC under Win2k for him.... and not provide a linux alternative.

Any suggestions ???

Second, the whole PCAnywhere stuff is an example of how we come to think in M$ terms. VNC is great because its designed to be completely multiplatform but UNIX/Linux natively supports this, its fundamental to the design.

For LAN access a simple telnet/ssh often suffices but theres no reason not to just display the desktop on a different tty. This is so fundamental to the whole linux/unix concept ...

For thin access/WAN quite a few alternatives exist. At work I use Tarantella, its a commercial solution so it costs....

To me this is just an example of jumping through hoops to connect to a second machine just because its a M$ machine and hence crippled as a network client. I know it has to be done, like SAMBA but its fundamentally bad when you have to regress linux to the standards of M$....

Just as an example, i have a friend who is pretty linux oriented but comes from a windows background. He thinks in terms of Windows domains and shares when these are just cludges to interface with a M$ world.

For me two Linux or unix machines sharing files over Samba is BAD. NFS is more efficient, robust and clean.

I'm fairly realistic, I use VMWARE for a couple of must have's and I'd consider using wine in a limited way but replacing something superior with a M$ thunk type solution is for limited one-offs, not everyday use.

Linux/UNIX networking is fundamental to the OS. Thats why SANE allows scanners to be shared; CUPS allows printer sharing etc. this is all built on the fundamental networking capabilites of linux/unix and X.

Its a fundamental rule that what is displayed in an Xwindow can be displayed in any X window ANYWHERE just by setting the DISPLAY env var.

Sorry, its a rant but I hate it when I see Windows 'standards' being used in this way because it degrades the pure GPL'd standards.

Sorry rant over .... :oops:

Anyone know if there is something equivalent to Remote Desktop for Windows? I see mention of a few similar things, but am looking for something that will act as if I am running my computer here, when it is across my LAN.

Oh, and preferably a Windows-compatible solution, as that is what I am on here. :?

Anyone know if there is something equivalent to Remote Desktop for Windows?  I see mention of a few similar things, but am looking for something that will act as if I am running my computer here, when it is across my LAN.

Oh, and preferably a Windows-compatible solution, as that is what I am on here.  :?

You need http://www.tightvnc.com/ :D

I know these are obvious to us, but:

Microsoft Outlook -> Ximian Evolution

Other MS Office -> Open or SOT Office, Star Office

I would add Audacity as a replacement for Cooledit, Qbase or Nuendo, but it is not anywhere as good as any of them (unfortunately).

Also, if newbies are interested in the possibilities of DJing in Linux, check out: www.openjay.org for an extensive list of software and www.finalscratch.com - the next level in djing, Final Scratch plots mp3s / Oggs across the face of a generic vinyl.... and it only works in Linux (and now on OS X). :wink:

simple one first:

Static, my friend uses windoze for all his mixing.  He has a pretty sophisticated setup with Terratec mixer etc.  and he takes it very seriously.  

Professionally, when he's not a musician he programs Oracle stuff on UNIX so it really hurt me to set up his PC under Win2k for him.... and not provide a linux alternative.  

Any suggestions ???

If you mean multi-track mixing theres ardour. If you mean just like soundforge sound editing theres Audacity or Rezound. I believe they are both on the list already.

Oracle has linux clients, so we're OK there.

Anyone know if there is something equivalent to Remote Desktop for Windows? I see mention of a few similar things, but am looking for something that will act as if I am running my computer here, when it is across my LAN.

You want to control your linux box from a win box? Or vice versa? or is it linux to linux? For the latter it's built right into to XFree86. If you're on a win box, you can run cyg-win to control a remote X session for any linux, solaris, *nix running X. If you're on a linux box and you want to control a win box, I can't help you. I never want to control a win box ;)