Software Equivalents for Newbies & Everyone

static

Here's the start of something I tried to do once: Compile a list of equivalent software for linux so that Win migrants can get right to work. I'll work on the actual links another day. Note I put my favorites/most win-like/easiest in bold.

[*]Internet Security/ZoneAlarm - Guarddog (KDE) or Firewall Builder; Firestarter (Gnome)

[*]winamp - zinf or xmms

[*]Nero/Easy CD Creator - k3b or CDBakeOven

[*]CAD - OpenCASCADE, VariCAD, freeCAD

[*]M$Office - OpenOffice.org or KOffice

[*]Download Accelerator Plus - KGet or D4X (downloader for x)

[*]DVD player- Ogle (& Okle is the GUI frontend) {You'll need some libs}

[*]DivX/avi/mpg movie/win media Player - Xine or Mplayer

[*]Soundforge - Audacity

[*]M$Visio - dia

[*]ICQ/msn/others - gaim

[*]PSP/Photoshop - GIMP

[*]WinZip - ARK (much more than just zip)

[*]TVtuner - XAWtv

[*]Norton/Windows/Total Commander - Krusader in X or mc (midnight commander) in console

For Games check out DOlson's Kick@$$ Page.

A few notes: Audacity and Dia haul ass. They were the final two missing links. I have finally reached the point where I know 90% of everything there is to know about linux, and I've found all the software that matches whatever I used to need that outdated OS for. As I said, I'll be working on expanding this list, getting links for every one of these, AND writing detailed, simple how-to's on how I got every one of them working in the hopes DOlson will post them on his page too. Enjoy!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm lucky to have the opportunity to work with *nix based machines all day long... I debated writing 85 or 90 :D

My 10 percent lies in simple things I haven't gotten around to researching, like burning a cd from the command line (I know, I know...) and X related stuff like switching the default DM/WM started by "startx". I'm not asking! Just stating I haven't had the time to teach myself 8)

don't forget:

ICQ--> gaim

AIM--> gaim

MSN--> gaim

Yahoo messenger--> gaim

PSP and other graphics progs--> GIMP

WinZip-->ARK (much more than just zip)

Windows media player--> Mplayer, Xine

TVtuner--> XAWtv

Blue screen--> ummmmm, nevermind :wink:

unfortunately we have no equivalent for clippy :P

naim is another very nice ncurses (console) based IM client. I prefer it over centericq. It does AIM, ICQ, IRC & Lily.

However, this is for "newbies", who would probably prefer GUI interfaces. Nonetheless....

Guest Ducttape19

Does anyone know if there is something in Linux that can do the samething as Symantec's PCAnywhere? I am looking for something that will run in Linux (Mandrake 9.1) but can hook to a computer that is the PCAnyware Remote.

I assume that I could always install PCAnywhere with WINE but why bother if there is an equivalent tool in Linux.

Static I am looking to hear from you on this one.

huuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh crap. There are better things, but mostly for linux to linux... but to use a linux box to control a PCAnywhere client? Either through wine (ugh - I have only successfully used wine for non-xp apps) or [anyone?]. I presume you're asking because the client already has PCAnywhere installed and now it's in some pickle factory in western Siberia?

Guest Ducttape19

Well not quite a pickle factory but it's not close and the odds of these machines getting Linux are slim to none. Come on Static I would expect more from the 6th semester micro expert.

Also I was wondering what the name of the Windows Commander (now Total Commander) equivalent was. I know I have been told before but my memory isn't that great. Thanks