eclipse crash - can't open file - java1.6 problems

matzlo

Hi everybody,

I recently installed mandriva 2008.0 from scratch because I encountered problems while updating from mandriva 2007.1.... however, my system is a fresh mandriva 2008.0 installation with a fresh installation of java 1.6 through rpm.

Here's the problem: I'm used to working with eclipse and since I'm running mandriva 2008.0, eclipse crashes everytime I want to open a source file, or a text file or anything else I could edit.. Workspace loads great and eclipse finishes its initialisation process well but I can't edit a file. It freezes completely and I can't do anything.

- I tryed to install eclipse through urpmi but still the same error

- simply changing workspaces doesn't work

- everything is fine the user priviledges etc

- tried it with different java versions (1.5, 1.6).. no change

- The .metadata/.log file says nothing!

After killing the eclipse process this error message comes up:

JVM terminated. Exit code=1

/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.05/jre/bin/java

-Xms128m

-Xmx1024m

-XX:PermSize=128m

-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

-Dosgi.sharedConfiguration.area=/usr/lib/eclipse/configuration

-jar /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar

-os linux

-ws gtk

-arch x86

-showsplash

-launcher /usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse

-name Eclipse

--launcher.library /usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_1.0.0.v20070606/eclipse_1017a.so

-startup /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar

-exitdata 1018004

-configuration /home/matthaeus/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.3.0-mdv/configuration

-Dgnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.library_control=never

-vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.05/jre/bin/java

-vmargs

-Xms128m

-Xmx1024m

-XX:PermSize=128m

-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

-Dosgi.sharedConfiguration.area=/usr/lib/eclipse/configuration

-jar /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar

Starting eclipse from terminal gave me this message after killing the eclipse process:

*** glibc detected *** /usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse: double free or corruption (!prev): 0x0806ee68 ***

======= Backtrace: =========

/lib/i686/libc.so.6[0xb79724e6]

/lib/i686/libc.so.6(cfree+0x90)[0xb7976010]

/usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_1.0.0.v20070606/eclipse_1017a.so(run+0x18b3)[0xb7264cf3]

/usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse[0x804971b]

/lib/i686/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0)[0xb7920f90]

/usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse[0x8048e11]

======= Memory map: ========

I can't help myself! Does someone know how to deal with this?? It'd be great if there's someone out there..

Thank you,

matt

That doesn't sound good at all! Where did you install eclipse from, and how did you install it?

I tried different approaches. First I downloaded it from eclipse.org and startet it from my /home directory, like ./eclipse... that's just what I usually do. After that didn't work (same error) I installed eclipse from the package manager... now there is eclipse everywhere. /usr/lib, /usr/share and so on. But still the same.

The funny thing is.. I had the same error on mandriva 2008.1. I thought this had something to do with 2008.1, maybe some young bugs or something, and reinstalled 2008.0 again.

NO IDEA.

hmmm... Thank you for you interest.

matt

well.. I made the following observation:

I just bootet my notebook with an external monitor to give eclipse another shot. It started well and worked fine for some minutes!! happy me... but then again, some tasks started to delay and as I opened another file, it crashed again. It just freezed completely and there was no choice left but kill the process.

Is there someone who understands this behaviour? If someone know some tricks or tips, pls post them.

matt

I think it's unlikely that Mandriva 2008.0 / 2008.1 would make a difference between it working or not - it's pretty much self-contained so it's either the JRE or the eclipse.

You say you installed eclipse several times, are the version numbers of these installs the same? Are the error symptoms the same no matter which one you run? (And are you sure you're running the version you think you're running?)

Edit: And which java do you have, is it Sun's JRE? Can you do a java -version ?

Edited by neddie

You say you installed eclipse several times, are the version numbers of these installs the same?

Yes. I always removed the old one before installed the new

Are the error symptoms the same no matter which one you run?

Yes!

That was a know bug, please see: bug #34399

Ok.. they suggest to install backported rpms for 3.3.0-0.27.2 for i586 which can be found here http://www.eslrahc.com/2008.0/i586/.

So I removed the old version and installed these packages:

eclipse-cvs-client-3.3.0-0.27.2mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

eclipse-ecj-3.3.0-0.27.2mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

eclipse-jdt-3.3.0-0.27.2mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

eclipse-platform-3.3.0-0.27.2mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

eclipse-rcp-3.3.0-0.27.2mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

libswt3-gtk2-3.3.0-0.27.2mdv2008.0.i586.rpm

NOTHING changed.

Hmm.. you won't believe this.

I further noticed that everytime I switch off the network or disable the network, eclipse works perfectly!!

Huhh??

Ok once again... As soon I switch ON my internet connection eclipse freezes while starting up! I can start with a disabled internet connection, open all files, edit them and compile, but while I switch on my internet connection eclipse freezes..

Ok, this is not a solution! I need the internet!! :)

k what do you say...

Could try disabling IPV6 on your system to see if that solves it. Long shot, but IPV6 can be known to cause all sorts of weird problems.

http://www.linuxsolutions.org/index.php?op...5&Itemid=26

also, other than trying what is in there, you can also try:

alias ipv6 off

in /etc/modprobe.conf.

Ok.. they suggest to install backported rpms for 3.3.0-0.27.2 for i586 which can be found here http://www.eslrahc.com/2008.0/i586/.

There appears to be a small discrepancy (perhaps some confusion) here. The bug report says (on 11-7-2007) to use the 3.3.0-0.27.2 rpms on eslrahc.com until they are officially added to the repos. However they were officially added to the repos on 11-22-2007. Please see the Errata: Mandriva/2008.0/Errata

From the Errata:

An updated set of eclipse packages, eclipse-3.3.0-0.20.8.1mdv2008.0, was released through the official update channels on November 22nd, 2007 that resolves this issue. Use MandrivaUpdate to fetch and install this update.
I would suggest that you try to update from the repos, the rpm version is different.

oh people..

@ianw1974: your guess to disable ipv6 was almost right! It has something to do with the network.

eclipse trys to build up a connection to localhost on 127.0.0.1 the first time it starts (don't know why exactly).. However, I checked it and I had no loopback interface to connect to! I had to enable it manually :wall: I suppose my network-up daemon is broken or deactivated at startup or something like that..

it works fine for 2 hours now..

thank you all people!

greetings,

matt