AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor

AussieJohn

After doing some reading at various threads here at MUB, I am wondering if I have made a mistake in using 2008-Spring .

I hope I understand correctly that the Processor I now have is a 64bit one.

Isn't there supposed to be a 64bit version of Mandriva required which just hasn't been released yet or is that no longer the case ???.

I hope someone can put my mind at ease. Or maybe that is the reason for some of my niggly problems with both 2008-Free and 2008-Spring.

Cheers. John.

I have a 64bit CPU and I'm using 2008-Free (32 bit) and nothing is out of the ordinary here :)

in the beginning of my Linux experiments I've installed the 64bit version and there where a lot of

problems (drivers, programs, packages) after i moved to the 32 bit everything is smooth (so far :) )

John: in a nutshell, if you don't have 8 GB of RAM installed, then you shouldn't bother about the 64-bit version.

If you have 4GB installed with the 32-bit version, you'll be able to use approximately 3GB of it. You can use the whole 4GB by installing a himem kernel and enabling PAE in the computer BIOS, but this will affect the performance negatively.

Thanks everyone. So I am correct about having a 64bit AMD CPU then.

I installed 4 x 1Gbs Memory sticks ( two Corsair Twinx 2Gbs sets). One stick failed after 30 minutes since it refused to boot so I have 3Gbs at the moment.

To Scarecrow. What do you mean it will negatively effect performance ???. And which one would be a HIMEM Kernel ???.

To Igotnoluck I heard that was a problem back in Mandriva2007 but I thought that might have been fixed by now.

To Spinynorman. I looked at the site and there seems to be every variety under the Sun (no pun intended).

I will see if Bigpond will call up the 2008-Spring 64 version DVD for me but only after I sort out the desirability or not of using the 64bit version. Especially since I intend to get the faulty 1Gb stick replaced under warranty to have a full 4Gbs of memory

One thing I have noticed while using 64-bit OS is the speed increase while I'm doing Image editing, movie editing, compiling and other heavy tasks. Also from my experience(s) is it's snappier than 32-bit overall.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

I have AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Dual Core, socket AM2, box(3 ghz real + 64 bits+ 2 core) + 2 gb ddram2 dual-channel and mandriva 2008 pp 32bits, and run faster than my older pc with Amd Sempron 2800+ with 2gb ddram, even faster than XP with SP2

AMD seems to rule MDV! :D

I too have the X2-4800 4GB ram etc.

I have tried the 64bit version, and like some others, when working with image manipulation or sound editing, there is a difference.

BUT *now realize this was 2007-64* there didnt seem to be enough of a difference to MAKE that difference because SOME things wouldnt run (adobe etc) so i went back to the 32 bit version and have been very happy ever since.

I havent compared 64x32 speeds in 2008.1, but for my use, until i find "the killer apps" in 64 I'll probably stay where Im at.

OR maybe when i upgrade to a quad core this summer!