No driver for an Epson Stylus 7400 [solved]

satelliteuser083

Many thanks, Jim, I did as you suggested and found the driver for the DX7400; this (pipslite-cups-1.0.3-1.i386.rpm) I also downloaded and installed. No complaints fron the system, either. ;) So far, so good. Now, however, when I try to 'add another printer' with MCC -> Hardware -> Set up printers... , MCC detects that the printer is attached but refuses to set it up, i.e. gives me 'raw printer' and the DX7400 is not in the printer-list :unsure: . Could you possibly help me further? Thanks.

It may be called something else. I'm not using the Epson drivers at the moment (Mandriva has a driver for my present printer), but I seem to recall something like "Epson printing system" being used and the driver was to be found at the very end of either the Epson list or the entire printer list in Printerdrake's Driver Selection tool. There should have been an installation guide of some kind available on the page where you got the rpms which will tell you what the driver is called.

Jim

Am still having problems with this bl...y DX7400 driver. Can't find any printer bearing any resemblance to it in the entire list. It seems that a .ppd file is necessary, which needs to be generated by a 'pipslite-install' program/script. According to 'readmelite-cups', this 'pipslite-install' : "After installation, is located at the following path: /usr/bin/pipslite-install". Well, that may be the normal case, but not on my box, mate :angry: . So, back to square one; this time I tried to install the package manually, with the following result:

[root@192 EpsonDX7400]# rpm -i pipslite-cups-1.0.*-*.i386.rpm
	file /usr/bin/ekpstm from install of pipslite-cups-1.0.3-1 conflicts with file from package pips-gtk2-3.0-1
	file /usr/lib/cups/backend/ekplp from install of pipslite-cups-1.0.3-1 conflicts with file from package pips-cups-3.0-1

This is becoming a nightmare. On my wife's laptop, running XP, the printer was up and running about 6 min. 40 sec. after inserting the setup-cd. I probably should have checked to see which level of support was offered (in Mandy) before buying the printer; silly me. :wacko: :wacko:

Anyway, mini-rant over; still need help, possibly with removing the above conflicts. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks.

this time I tried to install the package manually, with the following result:

[root@192 EpsonDX7400]# rpm -i pipslite-cups-1.0.*-*.i386.rpm
	file /usr/bin/ekpstm from install of pipslite-cups-1.0.3-1 conflicts with file from package pips-gtk2-3.0-1
	file /usr/lib/cups/backend/ekplp from install of pipslite-cups-1.0.3-1 conflicts with file from package pips-cups-3.0-1

Try installing the rpm with

rpm -ivh --replacefiles pipslite-cups-1.0.3-1.i386.rpm

Jim

P.S. My reading of the installation guide suggests that there should be a basic driver available after installing the rpm. You only need to run pipslite-install if the basic driver does not give the full functionality that you want. (I could be misinterpreting what it says. I always find the Avasys "help" files to be difficult to understand.)

Edited by jkerr82508

Many thanks, Jim, that was exactly it. :thumbs: :thumbs: The printer now operates almost correctly, at least I'm pretty sure that the fact that kwrite won't print is not the driver's fault. Kword and Open-office can print, but not kwrite; an entry appears in KJobViewer for a few seconds, then disappears, followed by ... nothing. Perhaps CUPS needs to be set up, or kwrite (can't find any relevant point in the latter's configuration-page). Unfortunately (this is my wife's machine) I can't be sure that kwite has ever been able to print, but I assume that it used to , otherwise I'd have got some complaints ;) . Very strange; any tips? Thanks.

Edited by satelliteuser083

It's a long time since I used mdv2006, and so can't remember if I had any problem getting kwrite to print. A few places that you might look for "oddities" or fiddle with settings (in no particular order):

- /var/log/cups/error_log

- Printer font settings in kwrite's config

- Options in kwrite's Print dialogue

- kcontrol's printer config module

- The properties of the file that you are trying to print

- http://bugs.kde.org/

You may also try with another "pure text" editor such as kedit or kate. (If one of those works, then It should be possible to set that as the default text editor, if you can't get printing to work from kwrite.)

Jim

You've done it again, Jim; :thumbs: many thanks for the decisive tip which solves the final problem. After looking briefly into your initial suggestions I decided to go for the final one - selecting a different editor. Now gedit is the default; it prints correctly and has the advantage of providing more facilities than kwrite. Great advice. Once again, many thanks. :D

You've done it again, Jim; :thumbs: many thanks for the decisive tip which solves the final problem. After looking briefly into your initial suggestions I decided to go for the final one - selecting a different editor. Now gedit is the default; it prints correctly and has the advantage of providing more facilities than kwrite. Great advice. Once again, many thanks. :D

One of the reasons that I enjoy using linux is that there is almost always a way to "get the job done". It just requires perseverance - sometimes rather a lot of perseverance. :)

Jim