A few issues with the spring release

Just John

I want to install 2008.1 on my machine, I think it's the distro I've been looking for. However, I've hit a few problems while running the live CD.

First, when I open a terminal and type ps nothing happens, even if I switch to root. I should be able to view my processes, why won't it let me? A bunch of other commands won't work either.

Second, when I try to open a streaming audio file from one of the default favorites (I think it was an .m3u file) the default player said it needed a codec and tried to install but the install failed. I get similar problems if I try different players. I think kaffine doesn't even try to get a codec, and I don't remember what amarok does. How can I fix this, and why doesn't it work in the first place?

A few less important issues as well, such as the pulse audio splitting the master volume into 2 controls and the volume buttons only being able to control one of them, and the run command box (alt+F2) popping up BEHIND everything else.

What exactly do you mean by 'nothing happens'? It hangs? It returns to the prompt without showing anything?

I don't know if codec installation can actually work when running live. If you install, and it still doesn't work, you can just switch to a player which doesn't use the whole Codeina codec system, which honestly is what I'd do, because I don't really trust such automatic doobries.

Try ps -e in the konsole

For codecs, have you got the PLF repo's set up?

If not go to Easy Urpmi and set them up, main, contrib, non-free and especially PLF

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

and install the needed codecs, a few things you'll probably need are, lame, win32, real player codecs, dvdcss2 etc . . .

[Edit]

I don't know if codec installation can actually work when running live.

running live, well that part escaped me :rolleyes:

If you install

Go on, you know you want to, you'll love it :) . . . . . . unless you don't :sad:

Edited by aphelion

What exactly do you mean by 'nothing happens'? It hangs? It returns to the prompt without showing anything?

I don't know if codec installation can actually work when running live. If you install, and it still doesn't work, you can just switch to a player which doesn't use the whole Codeina codec system, which honestly is what I'd do, because I don't really trust such automatic doobries.

When I say nothing happens it's pretty accurate. Almost nothing at all happens. I think when I press enter it goes down a line but absolutely nothing else happens. Doesn't show anything and doesn't freeze.

What player would you guys recommend? I like automatic codec retrieval... I use mplayer in windows and it has basically every codec known to man, but I didn't check if it comes with mandriva or if it has all the codecs.

Try ps -e in the konsole

For codecs, have you got the PLF repo's set up?

If not go to Easy Urpmi and set them up, main, contrib, non-free and especially PLF

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

and install the needed codecs, a few things you'll probably need are, lame, win32, real player codecs, dvdcss2 etc . . .

[Edit]

running live, well that part escaped me :rolleyes:

Go on, you know you want to, you'll love it :) . . . . . . unless you don't :sad:

I will try the ps -e thing and report back tomorrow. I'm a linux noob and I don't even know what a PFL repo is. I know I went through the add programs thing and added the default sources. I remember seeing something that said non-free, but I don't know if it's what you're talking about.

And as for installing, I want to but I'm not going to if I can't get at least this basic stuff working properly.

Edited by Just John

PLF has stuff that maybe a bit on the gray side, when it comes to being distributed with the distribution. They may have patent issues for example, lame(mp3) dvdcss(decoding DVD's), win32, etc, etc, some of which may be illegal depending on where you live. So Mandriva can't distribute them, that is where PLF comes in :)

non-free, no that is not what I was talking about, but it is good to add that as well, and don't worry about the non-free bit, it has nothing to do with cost $

The best way,IMO, to add sources/repo's, is by using Easy Urpmi, and by the way, you can't add the PLF repo's via MCC(the add programs thing), for the same reasons mentioned above.

Best of luck

Okay, I don't know if I just got a bad boot the first time or what, but I just booted up again and a bunch of problems were fixed. Is this normal? What the heck.

Anyway,

1. all my konsole commands seem to be working, ps -e included.

2. Added the stuff of the easy urpmi page, tried the streaming audio again and this time it downloaded an http protocol and then worked fine. The song I clicked is awesome too. :)

3. The buttons on my mouse are now working as the back/forward defaults. Still need to know how to change button assignments though. (The mouse issue is in another thread. Sorry if that threw anyone off)

Still would like to know how to

1. Get "master" and "master mono" merged in kmix so I don't have to adjust both every time I want to change my volume.

2. Bind mouse buttons

3. Get the alt+F2 run box to load in front of other windows I have up

(new)

Add a repo that has basically all the stable linux apps so I can browse and install at my leisure from the package adder. (Is there a special name for that thing? What do we call it?)

Get the application switcher to show minimized windows in compiz (not just an icon). I know I've seen this before, but the the version of compiz in 2008.1 doesn't seem to be able to. Suggestions?

Edited by Just John

1. Get "master" and "master mono" merged in kmix so I don't have to adjust both every time I want to change my volume.

Not sure what you are talking about here, I only have the one Master. Are you using Pulse Audio, I have read that you have to adjust 2 separate controls with that. I don't use Pulse Audio myself.

2. Bind mouse buttons

Sorry, never had to do it

3. Get the alt+F2 run box to load in front of other windows I have up

What if you open it, then right click on the title bar, select Advanced then select Keep Above Others

Add a repo that has basically all the stable linux apps so I can browse and install at my leisure from the package adder. (Is there a special name for that thing? What do we call it?)

You should have configured that when you did the Easy Urpmi thing, they would be Main, Main Updates, Contrib, Contrib Updates, Non-Free, Non-Free Updates. I think you are using the Install and Remove Software menu entry, is that correct, Try either Menu/Tools/System Tools/Configure Your Computer, or the Configure Your Computer icon in the task bar/panel what ever you like to call it, or, just type mcc in a konsole, it all gets you to the same place, MCC, Mandriva Control Center, and you can do all your software adding removing and much, much more from there.

While you are there, you might want to unselect the PFL repositories that you set up via Easy Urpmi, the reason being, is that these are not Officially supported by Mandriva, and you may only want to use them when need, as in getting codecs and stuff that isn't available via the official repo's. It's up to you, but I just thought I would mention it, not that there is anything wrong with PLF, there isn't. If you set up Backports and or Testing repositories, you might want to disable them also, and only use them when required. You can do this via MCC/Configure Media Sources for Install and Update, and then just unselect those that are not required

The audio is whatever the 2008.1 default is, I thought it was pulse but I guess I don't know for sure. I do know for sure I don't have a true master volume; it is split kind of bass vs treble between the two I mentioned.

Tried that for the run command box but it loads behind everything else. However, I found that if I hit F2 twice it brings it to the front so I guess I can just do that. I'm really surprised no one else had this problem though. Happened on every version of mandriva I tried.

Thanks for the info on the repo stuff. I think I know how to set them up and use them and stuff. I guess I just thought that the urpmi was just mandriva stuff and there was more out there, but perhaps not. I did notice that it does not have the new version of compiz. Does that mean 0.7.4 is unstable or what? How would I add a repo that would have it?

I did notice that it does not have the new version of compiz. Does that mean 0.7.4 is unstable or what? How would I add a repo that would have it?

Well, I don't use the 3D desktop stuff, but if the latest is not available in the regular repos, main/contrib/non-free, it may be in the backports repo, or testing. You would have to enable these, and or set them up if not already. Bare in mind though, that the software contained there, is not as tested as the software in the main repo's, and hence could be unstable, but I, as have many others, used stuff from backports etc before, you just got to be aware that there may be problems, it's up to you, myself, I wouldn't be to worried about it.

As I said before, If you do decide to grab something from backports/testing/PLF, it is a good idea to disable those repo's after you have got what you want, and just keep the main repo's active, Main, Main-updates, Contib, Contrib-updates, Non-Free, Non-Free-updates.

As for the Audio thing, just have a look and see if Pulse Audio is enabled, and if it is, you could try turning it off, and see if that solves your Master Volume annoyance. Like I said, I don't use Pulse Audio, but have read that some/all who do, have duplicate volume controls that they must use.

Edited by aphelion

You will be able to disable it if you go to MCC, as described above, then select Hardware, then Sound Configuration.

Just remember, write down, take a screenshot whatever, the present settings, so as you can easily go back to what it is now if you must/desire.

Edited by aphelion

You will be able to disable it if you go to MCC, as described above, then select Hardware, then Sound Configuration.

Just remember, write down, take a screenshot whatever, the present settings, so as you can easily go back to what it is now if you must/desire.

Okay, found it, disabled it, didn't change anything. I think I tried disabling and restarting x too. Anyway, I found a partial workaround. I put the master volumes up and switched the volume selector to PCM. So I can adjust it correctly with the mouse at least. Now I just need to find out how to bind my laptop keys to adjust PCM instead of "master."

A couple new annoyances:

1. Scroll speed does not take effect. Changed from 3 to 7, restarted x, still at 3.

2. I just forgot