Mandriva 2008 Spring KDE 4 Problem

Penguin Geek

After upgrading to 2008.1 Free, I wanted to install KDE 4. Found the instructions that stated install task-kde4, and I did, with all the dependencies. I tried booting into KDE 4, but on the splash screen, it goes black, then brings me back to the logon screen. I did an "init 3", and then captured what was happening with a "kde4 &> kde4-errors.txt". The only error I could see was this:

ksmserver: error while loading shared libraries: libQtUiTools.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

kdeinit4: PID 14773 terminated.

startkde: Shutting down...

kdeinit4: terminate KDE.

I search my entire HD and could not find that file. I did a software search for the file (searching filenames), and it came up with nothing. :wall: What package do I need to install to get this? If you need any further info, please let me know.

Edited by Penguin Geek

You could try libqt4-devel, it is the only package that shows up on my system after a search for libQtUiTools in File Names in MCC

I have that already installed. However, looking at the files that come with that package, it only provides these:

‎/usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtUiTools.a

‎/usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtUiTools.prl

Those aren't the ones I need to create libqtuitools.so.4 are they? If so, how can I do that? a soft-link?

libqtuitools4 package provides libQtUiTools.so.4

I can't find that package anywhere. What repository are you finding that in?

You're running 2008. The OP is running 2008 Spring.

It was made static (not a shared lib any more) in March. Nothing should still expect it to be a shared lib. Have you used KDE 4 before, so maybe an old config file is the problem? Can you check with a new user and see if it still occurs?

You're running 2008. The OP is running 2008 Spring.

It was made static (not a shared lib any more) in March. Nothing should still expect it to be a shared lib. Have you used KDE 4 before, so maybe an old config file is the problem? Can you check with a new user and see if it still occurs?

Tried a new user, and it still happened. I had KDE 4.0.? installed when it first came out and there was Mandriva packages. I think that might have messed it up. I cleaned my system of any kde4* rpms and anything with kde 4 in the descriptions. I then installed task-kde4, and I can get into KDE4 now. But it's all jacked up. There are no window controls on anything. It only shows one virtual desktop on the pager, and the background is all white, and I can't right-click on it. There is a KDE menu, but when i click on it, the menu shows on the top of the screen. Short of a complete wipe/re-install, any ideas? I have deleted everything in my ~/.kde4 file, and /var/tmp as well. No change. And yes, I tried a new user on this set up too, same thing.

Edited by Penguin Geek